Wednesday, April 7, 2010

See ya, Michael Kay

People who know me well will tell you I do not part easily with a buck, so I'm having this annual tug-of-war with myself.

In order to have every Red Sox game available to me on TV, I have to pay the cable company Time Warner an extra $160 over four months. I think I already pay them far too much.

That's actually only about a dollar a game if I watched every game, but I am not doing that - or worse, will feel pressure to watch because I've paid the money. Plus it might as well be a test pattern to Emily, so why not save the dough this year as well as passing on the heartache?

In addition, if I learned anything last season, it is that the world, after tilting off its axis for four years (resulting in Sox championships in 2004 and 2007) has returned to normal. The hated, cocky, overpaid, obnoxious Yankees won their 27th championship, much to the delight of their smug, cocky, obnoxious fans, and the Sox blew it at the end. That's been the story of what has happened for most of my life and will probably happen again this year.

But events of this week have made it likely I will make the investment. I watched the first two games of the regular season matching up the Yanks and Sox on YES, the Yankees station, which is part of our cable package (no extra money, in other words.

Both games were exciting, with the Sox coming from behind to win the first game, and the Yanks doing the same in the second.

But watching it on the Yanks station, well, sucks. I think it's worth the money just to always watch Sox-Yanks games on NESN, the Sox station, which has properly biased announcers. (Those of you of a political bent might think of these two as the Fox and MSNBC of sports broadcasting.) That means I will never have to he hear Yanks announcer Michael Kay yell "see ya'' one one of the billionaires in the middle of their overstuffed lineup hits a home run.

Sounds more and more like a bargain at twice the price.

1 comment:

  1. You crack me up..Bosox pay just as much for there line up..and I hope Michael Kay yells "see ya" in your dreams.

    ReplyDelete