I have never flown a plane solo, or any other way for that matter, but I got a little taste of what that might feel like today.
Rather than doing my typical gig as the "cohost'' of the radio show Capitol Pressroom, I had my hand on the controls, at least of the conversation.
For some reason, I agreed to do it for a couple of days while the veteran pilot, Susan Arbetter, took the week off.
My hands weren't actually on the controls, which is just as well, since my Luddite proclivities (see yesterday's post) would have precluded a smooth flight. The production assistant Patrick was there not only to hit the right buttons but also tell me when to stop and start talking.
The tensest time for the hour-long show occurred a few minutes before we went on the air when we learned our planned guest for the first 20 minutes or so, Mike Gormley of the AP, had been held up. Patrick, the production assistant told me and Blair Horner of NYPIRG, who slipped into my normal "cohost'' role that gave us all of that time to talk about anything we wanted to.
Great.
But it turned out to be no problem. I just asked Blair what it was like to be a good-government lobbyist in such a cynical town and how he avoided becoming jaded. Next thing I knew I looked up and 20 minutes had passed.
The next segment was easily filled by two noted veteran Albany spinmeisters Steve Greenberg and Bob Bellafiore, who had a new Siena poll to talk about.
Then the previously missing Mr. Gormley stuck his head in the door. I asked him how to fix Albany. He mentioned my book. The hour was over.
Go to http://Capitolpressroom.org for local times and stations, as they say, or listen to us on the web. Inside tip: there would very well be a train wreck tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment