I have entered some kind of new sports-fan's netherworld, and I'm not sure whether it's good thing.
For example, I didn't have the stomach to watch the Celtics-Heat basketball game last night, since I find losses by my team so painful that it ruins the whole night.
So I recorded it, and saw in the paper that the good guys had won, rather handily. So I watched some of it today, confidently awaiting a 19-0 Celtics run that happened right just as the paper said it would.
And by the way, here's the newest sign of the approaching Apocalypse: The Gannett papers in New Jersey are letting the New Jersey Devils hockey team write stories about their games, and are then publishing them!
The rationale is the papers can't afford to cover the team any more, and the team needs the publicity and the readers want to know who won. But the whole idea of journalism, I was taught back in the last century, was to give readers an objective view of what happens. Certainly, reading a sports writer's dripping-with-sarcasm story about a team that isn't going well, or calling for all the bums to quit, is a source of deep pleasure to me.
Oh well. At least we don't have Republican and Democratic reporters covering politics. Yet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment