Friday, July 17, 2009

If it Clucks Like a Chicken...

Reports that I went around the house this afternoon clucking like a chicken are apparently false.

I say "apparently" since I was under hypnosis, so I don't really know what happened.

I also say "apparently" because I assume my daughters were pulling my leg and I'm not even sure I know how to cluck like a chicken.

What I remember is this: A therapist friend of Emily's had gotten me to totally relax and actually fall asleep while she suggested that a positive attitude would be a valuable tool in my trying to defeat this cancer. She made a persuasive case that there's really no harm in believing the outcome will be positive and that the payoff is a better quality of life while the issue is in doubt, to say nothing of improving the chances of actually beating it.

One can safely call me a skeptic about such alternative approaches to medicine, which befits somebody who has been a journalist for 40 years. But this perspective has been changing the more I hear stories about people who have recovered against long odds with the help of such attitudes.

Another influence is the consistent prodding of Emily, who's a big believer in this approach, which she's used successfully in her psychotherapy practice for years. So what the hell? If going around the house sounding like a chicken would improve my chances of recovery I would start clucking away immediately.

In other news, we got an unusual promise from a radiologist today. He said he would "do a happy dance" if he were to administer radiation to someone like me with seeds implanted in a tumor. What sparked that reaction is that the seeds would improve the odds that the radiation goes to the right place. He refused to either demonstrate or describe just what such a dance would look like, saying it was not yet 5 p.m. and he had not yet had a glass of wine.

6 comments:

  1. Just as long as you don't emulate chicken ...
    little! Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I strongly recommend reiki.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next time you do a chicken dance (or cluck), make sure it's videotaped and posted on youtube.
    Gary Craig

    ReplyDelete
  4. Learning to listen to your wife's advice after a long marriage will also greatly increase your chances of survival and improved quality of life.
    from marital expert ..."retired" --elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a firm believer in this positive approach, even though it hasn't always come naturally to me. But there's more and more evidence accumulating about the physical benefits of optimistic thinking.

    Two close women friends of mine have been battling serious, metastasized cancer for several years now. Frankly, I never expected either of them to survive this long, but not only have they survived, they're actively thriving and engaged in the community. So these things can definitely happen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all for your thoughts. I'll let you know if I get any proof of clucking like a chicken and how the meditation goes.

    Jay

    ReplyDelete