As several of you commented, yesterday's blog title was indeed taken from Bill Bryson's book "A Walk in the Woods," in which Bryson recounts the comic ups and downs of his adventure on the Appalachian Trail (AT). While it may have seemed after yesterday's post and Jay's athletic history that a hike on the AT was in the near future, Dad says he realized today that a different approach is more appropriate for this recovery. After his hip surgery, the harder he could push himself physically, the quicker his recovery. With this surgery, however, rest really is the best medicine, and he is trying to actually slow down, allow himself naps and heed his body's calls for moderation.
While physcially he has agreed to take it easy, he proved himself mentally sharp and competitive as always, as he trounced me for the umpteenth time in chess today. I can beat him at other games (notably, in Boggle since I was ten), but somehow we haven't played any games I am good at during his recovery.
Jay also started to dictate his memoirs today - something he has wanted to do for a long time. I transcribed stories from his early childhood, and learned more about my grandfather, also a lifelong journalist, and his and my father's first magical visit to Fenway Park in the early 1950s.
We have a doctor's appointment tomorrow where we look forward to learning more about how to manage dad's blood sugar effetively.
Monday, July 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks for giving me a bright side for consideration regarding our crazy weather. If it will help Jay get acquainted with moderation, then I can keep the hatches battened down.
ReplyDeleteI look forward to reading the memoirs. Patti Jo
Jay,
ReplyDeleteWent to Fenway last night anticipating Smoltzie's (I've adopted my Dad's way of referring to all Red Sox players as though they live next door) first Fenway start. He was schooled by a 21 year old I'd never heard of who was throwing 97 MPH with a bender that had the Sox buckling at the knees.
This was the stretch of games we were supposed to build separation from the E.E. -- at home against Seattle, Oakland and K.C. Well, four games in and were 1-3. Yikes!
Let's dump Lugo and get it over with.
Hope to see you soon.
Elliott Sh.