Friday, July 10, 2009

How mighty is the pen?

The pen is mightier than the sword, or at least it used to be before the internet.

Now I am about to see if the pen is mightier than diabetes.

The doc has given us couple of pen-like devices that make giving myself insulin as easy as throwing a dart - as long as you don't mind being the dartboard. The idea is to help hold down my blood sugar level as I eat more than normal to gain weight, while my pancreas is still deciding how well it is going to function.

We overshot a bit today so that my blood sugar level was actually too low this morning, so this will take some playing with. But we are planning on having a big dinner tonight. That will put my new pens through their paces.

People have been telling me that "I really don't look that bad," which I interpret, 15 days out from surgery, as high praise.

We emulated Bill Bryson again today and took another walk in the woods. While our first such post-operative hike was pretty smooth sailing, this one was more Bryson-like. The path was uneven, muddy and largely overgrown, and when we saw a deer bounding ahead of us, I was tardily reminded of the dangers of deer ticks. This is no time to get Lyme disease. We emerged into civilization after about a 1/2 mile, and I reluctantly concurred with Emily's idea of walking on the road as she went back and fetched the car. At least now small humilitations don't bother me as much as they used to.

3 comments:

  1. Nahhh, that's not humiliation, but rather common sense! And for the reocrd, you and your family exemplify unconditional love and support like it's never been before. Be well!
    Cheers-
    Buff Huse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to meet you in person last night. I have been following this blog from the beginning. I appreciate your humor and wit and realness as you write about this process. A blog is such a great way to have some fun in the midst of fighting illness. It was fun last night! Elizabeth from Emily's book group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I consider the fading impact of small humiliations to be one of the great gifts of aging. Among others...clothes that could match better, the occasional out-loud belch, weeds in the garden and dust-bunnies in the corner (okay, these have always been true...but I don't care anymore).
    Patti Jo

    ReplyDelete