I got my marching orders from the doc today: eat and sleep. We immediately responded by going out to lunch/dinner at the Cheese Factory.
She said I need to eat to get fattened up for the chemo and radiation treatments we expect to start next month that are sure to drain me. Have to think the banana cream cheesecake, on top of a crab-salad sandwich, was a step in that direction.
Always knew I carried that extra 15 pounds around my middle, now vanished, for something. So I'm trying to build back up from 170.
Sleep is the best thing for recovering from surgery.
She also mentioned that I could be ready to play golf in a couple of weeks, but shouldn't drive for a few more - more of a legal than a medical issue, she said.
Blood-sugar balance is less of a concern than maintaining weight. The sugar can be controlled with insulin, and she gave us a fancy new pen-like gismo that makes administering it simple.
One more Bill Bryson note: some of you may have read his childhood memoir, The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid. It was at the same time one of the funniest and most touching books I've ever read. I don't pretend to have his talent, but thought it would be fun to give at least Ellen and Janice a sense of my world more than 50 years ago.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Really looking forward to your memoir. Enjoy the cheesecake - Yancey & Kate
ReplyDeleteHey Jay! Getting fattened up sounds like a fun assignment. A silver lining! It's a treat to eat with abandon, which I last remember doing when I was pregnant with Nate. Probably how I got myself a 10-pounder!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you're doing memoirs!A great way to pass the time and connect. We are thinking of you often,
Erika, Mike and Nate
Jay: Good to see the recovery is udnerway. I half expect you to reissue the challenge for the Tribune Cup. I know what you are thinking: hell, I could beat Dollinger even with the "hip and pancreas" things. Go Jay Dollinger
ReplyDelete