20 days after the operation I continue to slowly build strength and feel a bit more human every day. That's just as well, because it's almost time for the next phase of treatment to begin. We have to decide exactly what kind of chemotherapy we want, and who will administer it and where I will be treated. This is a bit of a daunting task, because the most common chemotherapies generally aren't very effective. So we're searching diligently for better options. The "cyberknife" radiation treatment that the operation helped to prepare me for is an unproven but promising mode of treatment. It's a lot to try to digest and evaluate - something I couldn't do without Emily, Janice and Ellen.
So far, we have a few appointments scheduled in Albany over the next week (with the primary care provider, medical oncologist and radiation oncologist) and then we'll all be in Boston to meet with doctors there. We hope to have a better understanding of our plan going forward, especially with the chemo, after those appointments are over which should by the end of July.
The daily markers for how I am doing tend to be the following: how much sleep I get overnight, how my mid-day nap goes, how far I walk, how hungry I am, how much I eat and how balanced my blood sugar is. Generally things have been on an upswing in the past week, and I have put back on 5 pounds out of the 24 I have lost. And, in a landmark development, I am about to head out to my first Valley Cats baseball game post-surgery.
So far, my major impression almost five weeks after my diagnosis is: I'm stunned how nice people have been.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Jay! The hardest part about dealing with life threatening illnesses is making the choices. Since so many of the choices are experimental or unproven, this creates a lot of anxiety. Add to that the complications you'll encounter and the choosing can be even more traumatic.
ReplyDeleteHaving the support of your family is critcal to evaluating those choices but the final decision comes from some mysterious inner place. May that "gut" feeling guide you as you make those choices so you'll have a feeling of acceptance no matter how things go.
Blessings and may your healing continue. Sam Trumbore
Hi Jay,
ReplyDeleteI haven't checked your blog in awhile, and I'm delighted to see you're writing just about every day, as well as golfing, driving and even going to a ball game. My thoughts will be with you and your family as you sort through your options, make the tough decisions and start the next phase of treatment. I've experienced a similar process in my own family. Although the illness was less serious, I can imagine how tough it must be.
I see not too many people are leaving comments. As I posted early on, I've become deeply involved in blogging in the past few months. The first thing I do when I log on each morning is check to see who if anyone has commented on my posts. And I love it when they do! I'm guessing you feel the same - if so, let people know! Folks, it's easy and fun, and unlike traditional journalism and letters to the editor, you know your words will be published!
All best wishes and healing energy -
Julie Lomoe's Musings Mysterioso
http://julielomoe.wordpress.com