Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Different Day 13

This is day 13 following surgery - the day after both hip-replacement operations (in 1994 and 1998) that I returned to work. Ain't close to that now, with lots to accomplish even after I recover from the surgery, which still has a way to go. I'm feeling more human, though.
Human enough to go with Janice to a movie matinee today - the bloody but engrossing "Public Enemies.'' We persuaded each other that seeing a 3:30 movie was a luxury and not decadent. Johnny Depp is great as John Dillinger.
We also picked up a truckful of new medications and devices on our way home to mark my status as at least a temporary diabetic. I now have a pen-like device that makes administering insulin look as easy as signing my name. We'll see.
This break has also given me a chance to read the "Guernsey Potato-Peel and Literary Society,'' a terrific book about the German occupation of one of the channel islands during World War 2, told in a series of letters. Warm, touching and recommended by Emily's book group. It's the kind of book my mother would have polished off in an evening and night. I remember her often saying in her later years that the best part of retirement was not having to put a book down if she didn't want to.
Also started today "This Time,'' a generous gift from Jerry McLaughlin, a novel about the Boston police strike of 1919. Hard to put down already. Great sense of time and place.

3 comments:

  1. Jay,
    Glad to hear that you enjoyed "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society." After reading it, our group thought that maybe we needed to be more creative than simply calling ourselves "The Book Group." Bonnie suggested "The Capital District Women Authors Literary and Mozzarella Society." If you join us for our second annual "dinner with the husbands" on Friday night, you'll be able to sample our second attempt at making Barbara Kingsolver's "30-minute mozzarella."

    Glad to hear that you made it to the movies and that you have an appreciation for Johnny Depp.

    Hope to see you Friday,
    Donna Meixner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jay, Sounds like you had a good day. I'm reading Guernsey right now and enjoying it. This is my favorite type of book - journals, letters, diary - writings. If I ever write my book it will be in this style! I'm looking for new books to take to Michigan with me - my annual trip with Jackson! Wish I would have saved this one - but, I'm sure to finish it by this weekend. Obviously, I'm not retired! It takes me weeks to finish a good book. Will you be watching the ALL STAR game? The city is getting ready for Obama's first pitch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jay, it's great to "hear" you sounding so much like yourself. You have a marathoner's spirit, so I know you'll be ready to rally when you need to.

    In my early footloose years in NYC, I loved to go to matinees at the Thalia - where double and triple features were not uncommon. I have a very fond memory of sneaking Chinese food into a four or five movie Woody Allen event.

    For books, these days I highly recommend the "Frog and Toad" and "Mr. Putter and Tabby" series. Very satisfying.

    Patti Jo

    ReplyDelete