Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Memories

Writers are always told to write about what you know.

In the case of most people, that means about themselves.

The one little drawback, of course, is that in most cases, since we're not Winston Churchill or Jennifer Anniston, our lives aren't interesting enough for anyone to want to read about, or at least read a lot about.

This is all by way of saying that I am working on a memoir. In fact, I have almost 9,000 words written, and I'm up to only age 14.

I place the blame for the verbosity about my childhood squarely on the shoulders of Bill Bryson, the author best known for his hilarious recounting of his adventures on the Appalachian Trail, "A Walk in the Woods.''

He wrote an equally funny memoir about his childhood called "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid,'' which focused on growing up in Des Moines in the '50s and '60s, which is about when I was a kid in a Boston suburb.

It so happens that I have a friend who has taught a memoir-writing course and is convinced she can get a book out of anybody. So I'm going to read her tips and see what happens.

I was also reminded today by an old friend that although many people may not remember all of the cogent arguments I made about what happens when politics and business in New York converge (business, and taxpayers, usually lose) in my 2005 book, "The Politics of Decline,'' the cover blurb from Eliot Spitzer ("Should be required reading for all New Yorkers'') is a classic.

His endorsement seemed like a good idea at the time, the author said weakly.

4 comments:

  1. Let's face it: Who could speak better about the politics of decline (and other unseemly NY escapades) than Eliot Spitzer? You should not take his endorsement of the book as a negative but instead a recommendation from a politico who knew firsthand just how much trajectory of decline one could build into a career in NY politics.
    Gary Craig
    (Imagine the tale if told by Bill Bryson.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, can't wait to read these stories! I hope you include some from Colby -- including you and your wife's first date tale you referenced on an earlier blog post... Or you could tell us that one on the BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget to include all the brilliant years of song writing and performing for FUUSA's annual dinner. I trust you'll participate fully when it comes to writing the show for 2010 - as always, we will need you on the committee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seem to recall that you knew a thing or two about rooting out government corruption. I wish we had you in Buffalo to defend my old political friends from attacks by disgruntled ex-DAs. See (Is Mark Sacha a disgruntled employee or a principled idealist? http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/824252.html)

    ReplyDelete