Although one wouldn't call my schedule busy, adult-ed classes, bridge, blogging, reading and keeping up with state government generally keep me occupied.
So after working as a cashier at our church rummage sale this morning, I did have plans to work on my memoirs, finish reading the papers, catching up on my e-mail and do other various chores for the rest of the day.
But then Janice, whom I expected home later in the day, pulled into the driveway just before lunch. Over sandwiches, we talked sbout how much work she had to do, and how she can't afford not to do any when she's home. So we both had our work cut out for us in the afternoon, we figured.
But then after chatting some more, we decided to do something wicked: watch TV for a while.
She and I (and Ellen and Allyson too, but not Emily) share an addiction to "Mad Men,'' the AMC series that critics love but that many viewers seem indifferent to. Let's watch one episode (I have a DVR that has recorded them all so far this season) she suggested.
I assented, and soon one turned into three, almost catching us up on the doings a the always fascinating if fictional Madison Avenue Sterling and Cooper ad agency circa 1963.
Watching by myself in the middle of the afternoon would have seemed at the minimum decadent and probably depressing. But snuggling on the couch together watching made it seem like a delicious little break from our routines.
Not working and not being physically active are not easy to adjust to, but I'm coming along.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment