Thursday, October 1, 2009

In praise of valium

For those of you who get a little antsy in a crowded elevator or other tight spaces, imagine lying down and being slid into what looks and feels like a coffin and being there for an hour or so, with your senses bombarded by bangs and clangs of pieces of metal colliding.

I had that experience in an MRI probably 15 years ago when I was searching for a solution to back trouble. I haven't forgotten it. (Have to admit only way I got through it then was Emily holding onto my toe - the only part of my body outside the machine - and reading to me.)

The cancer docs want another one of me to help plan the next step in my treatment. I was smart enough this time to insist on one in what's called an Open MRI, which is less tomb-like.

But it still involves being slid into a compartment with the top only inches from your head, and the same noises as the magnets do their thing. For those of us with claustrophobic tendencies, it sets off some of the same triggers as the old-fashioned machine.

Which brings us to today. Emily and I went up to Clifton Park so I could get the Open MRI scan. I went in on schedule, and was appalled to see that the "open'' machine still looked pretty closed.

I had taken a Xanax, but it seemed to have little effect as I was slid into the machine. Nope, I said, I can't do it. Get me outta here.

The very empathetic nurse practitioner came to the rescue, saying some valium would do the trick. I took a couple, waited an hour or so and cared less about the world than I did before taking the medication. I got through it.

One more wrinkle: about half-way through I had an overwhelming need to urinate. I was afraid of screwing up the whole procedure, but I felt like I had no choice but to call a break. They slid me out and I relieved myself, but it added at least several minutes to the whole procedure, which ended up taking about an hour and a half.

But I got through it with the help of the drug and, of course, Emily, who this time held my hand, stroked my arm and recalled all the details she could from our Colby days, including our first date.

Hope they got some good pictures.

2 comments:

  1. I also took medication to go through the MRI and friends told me I was happy for at least 3 days!
    I'm sending hugs to you and Emily.
    Cate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valium is a great drug! Too bad they've made it so difficult to get. I've had an MRI and didn't mind it that much, but I used to be terrified of flying, and I kept some valium on hand so I could have one with a drink in the airport bar before boarding. That way once we were airborne, I was totally relaxed about the prospect of falling out of the sky.

    Now that I'm 68, flying no longer bothers me - in fact I almost love it! I guess I've come to trms with my own mortality.

    ReplyDelete