Monday, October 5, 2009

Cautious Optimism?

We got few definitive answers from our meetings with three doctors in Boston today but some reason for optimism.

First of all, a blood test showed that the chemotherapy apparently had had an effect, significantly reducing the growth of the cancer cells. Next, the initial report of the MRI test I had done last week failed to spot any tumors on my liver. This perplexed the docs who plan to confer and then possibly order some more tests since an earlier CT scan had indicated at least one new tumor on my liver. But at minimum, the tests suggested no further spread of the cancer.

And finally, the surgeon who operated on me on June 25th said I was recovering well from that with no obvious problems.

The MRI report was mostly written too technically for us to understand. But we did notice that it said there was no sign at all of the gall bladder. That was reassuring, since it was surgically removed in the June 25th operation.

So we're on our way home slightly more hopeful than we were driving here yesterday. We're eager for more definitive information, which should come later this week.

3 comments:

  1. And all of us are glad for the the optimism, cautious or otherwise. Thanks for letting us know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous news, Jay - I'm so glad for you and your family.

    Could you stop by my blog and comment? Only if you want to, of course. I posted a letter to the TU editor about panicking in the crowd at Lark Fest. I wrote it two weeks ago, they never ran it, and I'm wondering why. Perhaps you'd have some insight into this! Thanks, and again, I'm delighted about your news. Keep the faith - whatever faith that may be.

    Julie Lomoe
    Julie Lomoe's Musings Mysterioso

    ReplyDelete
  3. `Cautious' optimism? I've never known you to have anything but cautious optimism. Any time a governor said anything positive in a news conference I half expected to hear you say, ``Yeah, right.''
    This is great news about you, Jay! And more great news is on the way, I'm sure. I'm thrilled to hear it. Take care, my man.
    We miss you hear in the LCA at the cap. We've hoisted a few glasses for you when we open the LCA Library Friday afternoon, a renewed practice that I know warms your reporter's heart. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete