We (Emily, my Kleenex box and I) saw Sai Maa again today, at a public session at Siena College.
There were hundreds of people there (who paid $177 apiece) and I had no personal contact with her, but she did say some more things that resonated with me, including the need to get the sadness and disease out of my body. I hugged my Kleenex box, which I have started to wear under my shirt, when she said that.
She talked a lot about recognizing the anger some people store up from their childhoods and from their parents, but I don't have much of that. However, listening to the sobs of many people, she was on target with what they needed to hear.
She was also far more confrontational with people than she was at our earlier session, criticizing some whom she thought weren't addressing their problems.
The entire session lasted five hours, but I bailed out when it was about half over. I think the conclusion I've drawn is just like one has to confront conventional medical practices with a critical eye, that's also the best way to look at other healing traditions as well.
I will always be grateful to Sai Maa for giving me a concrete way to try to address and get rid of some inner angst that likely is contributing to my condition.
Meanwhile, if anybody has any ideas on what to name my Kleenex box, I'm open to suggestions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi, Jay. I've read these latest two posts with interest, and I congratulate you for walking out partway through Sai Maa's talk. People who claim illness happens for a reason, and that people somehow draw disease into themselves by virtue of pent-up anger or some other personal shortcoming, make me absolutely furious. I'm glad you don't seem to be taking her too seriously - you don't need a personal guilt trip on top of everything else you're confronting!
ReplyDeleteThat said, I do believe there are genuine health benefits in cultivating a positive attitude, as you've talked about in previous posts. And I believe lots of diseases are closely related to psychological issues. For example, there's a definite correlation between anger and other negative emotions and cardiovascular diseases. But to the best of my knowledge, no one has shown this kind of psychological link to cancer. Anyone who claims othrwise deserves a hearty Bronx cheer!
Julie Lomoe's Musings Mysterioso
SCOTTIE - as in Scott tissues.
ReplyDeleteMichael is thinking of naming "his little friend" Rocky - it is an Aspen Brace and you know - aspen groves/rocky mtns. but, for now, "his little friend" seems to work for him.
Or how about PUFF?
ReplyDeleteAll the best, Jay.
Dawn Dana
Blessings to you on your journey Jay. Sai Maa is on to it. She knows what she is talking about. The ancient wisdoms on health and healing are coming around to be proven by medical science.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you were there, whatever you do with her information.