Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Once is enough

There's a good story in today's Times by Dan Barry, a reporter who has two bouts of cancer and has recovered each time.

What jumped out at me was how he said when he had chemo the first time the experience revealed "the world in all its mundane glory.'' He began to notice things like fireflies, the design of olives and people hustling to appointments or to get a fried egg sandwich. If only he could recover, he promised himself, he would more fully appreciate the world.

I had a similar epiphany not connected with chemo but when I was operated on in June. Just being able to walk outside, to smell a warm breeze, to sit on my porch again was my dream as I laid in my hospital bed in Boston.

But Barry said once he recovered he was again overtaken by everyday worries like traffic jams and work hassles.

He has gone through the same cycle twice, admitting to feeling foolish about it.

"What's the use of surviving cancer if you don't learn from it?'' he asked.

I haven't recovered and still have a long road ahead of me. But many of my dreams from June have been fulfilled. I can sit on my porch, smell the warm breezes, eat what I want, hug my wife and my kids, watch the Red Sox and enjoy friends.

"Am I so thick that I have to learn the life-is-precious message twice?'' Barry asked.

I hope in my case once will be enough.

1 comment:

  1. A beautiful posting, Jay, and a reminder to all of us to relish the small things. I've sent your blog along to my mother-in-law, who'll be starting chemo next month. Your attitude is inspirational.
    Cheers,
    Gary Craig

    ReplyDelete