Tuesday, September 22, 2009

New role for Barry

It was supposed to be over between Barry and me already - I was to keep him about a week, and then throw him out, symbolically taking all of my negative thoughts with him.

But in the 11 days since I adopted the Kleenex box at the suggestion of a faith-healer named Sai Maa as a receptacle for angry and negative thoughts, I've become attached to the object that now brings me a sort of comfort. It seems now it holds much of the positive energy and healing power she tried to give me the night I met her.

So I'm also now carrying around an old squash ball (a hard-rubber sphere a little smaller than a golf ball) and am trying to give it the negative energy I want to expel while I retain Barry for positive thoughts.

I know none of this can hurt, but I think I'm at my limit for aid from inanimate objects.

We saw Emily's sister Judi off at the airport today for her trip home to California - an emotional moment for me heightened by the great comfort she brought to me in the two weeks she was here. I greatly look forward to her return for a couple of more weeks in November.

It's off to Boston tomorrow for blood tests and a cat-scan. We get the results from a doc there Thursday before heading home. Best part is we get to stay with Ellen and Allyson tomorrow night in Somerville.

1 comment:

  1. Jay is right about journalism. I tried to get out twice and got sucked back in before I finally made the break. Once was a short flirtation with an Assemblyman before I realized I couldn't do it. The second time was year and a half sojourn in corporate land before I decided it was time to go back to a paper and take a pay cut.
    Now I work for a state agency--the Division of Military and Naval Affairs- -and this time it works. As a long-time member of the National Guard, I understand the culture and I have a lot of flexibility to do the job without a lot of second guessing.
    Still, there are times I miss the old days in the LCA press room.
    Eric Durr

    ReplyDelete