People ask me frequently if I miss work and the Capitol. I usually shrug my shoulders and say of course, but don't think too much about it.
But last night I was sort of back in the old milieu and I realized how deeply I do miss being there. I went to a debate between the two guys running for town supervisor of our town, Bethlehem. Sans notebook, of course, and trying to get up to speed in my new role as a citizen (still not enrolled in a political party, of course).
Most importantly, it was fun to see some reporters, politicos and goo-goos (good-government) advocates again. Most people probably don't realize that while the Capitol is a source of great conflicts and animosity, there is also a lot of comraderie. Leavng it has obviously has left a big void in my life.
Last night's debate was sponsored by the county League of Women Voters, so that meant a lot of good hugs for me to give and receive. And in my new hugger mode, I embraced some other people I know as well.
Then after listening to the candidates talk for 90 minutes, mostly dodging questions that weren't well focused, I had an urge to buttonhole them and try to get some straighter answers. But I resisted.
Even more fun were the post-mortems, talking about openings the challenger failed to take advantage of, the proper balance between politeness and aggressiveness, how smooth the incumbent was, etc. In other words, many of the things that has long fascinated me about politics were on display.
Then a real bonus: the lone TV reporter in the room had discovered Emily and was interviewing her on her thoughts when I glanced over to find her.
For more than five minutes while the camera was on, she was lucid, candid and interesting in responding to his questions. I jokingly warned the guy not to edit it, and just devote the top of the newscast to her comments. He cut her down on the 11 p.m. show that night to about 15 seconds, but Emily agreed it was her best 15 seconds.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Who won the debate? From the perspective of a private citizen, of course...
ReplyDelete