Saturday, September 26, 2009

A good trip

One positive result from the bad results this week was that Ellen and Allyson are making a special trip home, figuring I could use some cheering up. They're right.

Because Monday is Roshashana (sp?) Allyson, who works at Brandeis, has the day off (wonder why?) and Ellen said she can work from here. I think one of the things the world needs is a few more Jewish holidays.

Also tried to play a piano today for the first time in my life. Our friend Jane did her best to teach me "Heart and Soul'' on a neighbor's baby grand. I could play a couple of notes, so she praised my musical instinct or something like that. So the next question is do we want to invest a little dough in a keyboard. Investment rules have changed.

I was also cheered last night by seeing a bunch of reporter/lobbyist/politician friends at a going-away party for Brian Taffe, who is leaving Albany for Phila. Our loss.

It should be interesting tomorrow to see how David Paterson fares on Meet the Press tomorrow (10 a.m. NBC) Will he melt down under questioning from David Gregory (are they hoping he will tell Obama off) or somehow use the appearance as a way to build some support. Should be fun to tune in.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a little late coming to your news, Jay, having just caught up with the blog. I'm sorry to hear you didn't turn a sharper corner with this first round, but onward o' go-the-distance man. You'll be well supported through the next round.

    I know I owe you some latkes. We'll have to make a plan. PJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jay. Some non-cancer comments for a change - I'm sure that will come as a relief! In reverse order:

    I stayed home from FUUSA this morning to watch David Paterson on Meet the Press. As a novelist, I'm enjoying the ongoing psychodrama that is NYS politics. He didn't exactly self-destruct or make an utter fool of himself, but he was hesitant, blah, noncommital and definitely didn't do himself any good. I'm sure Fred Armison will do a good take on this on next week's Saturday Night Live.

    Re: Brian Taffe - I envy your going to his going-away party. Robb likes watching his Capital News programs because he's intelligent and has good comments - I like him for those reasons, but also because he's a cutie and a hottie! For ages now, I've been predicting he'd move on to bigger and better things. I predicted the same for John Roberts of CBS back when he was an anchor on the NYC affiliate. I was right, even though he didn't get the anchor chair. He would have been better than Katie.

    Lastly, I'm glad you tried to play the piano! As a rock and jazz pianist myself, I definitely recommend you invest in an electronic keyboard immediately. I've owned a couple. I currently have a Yamaha I bought several years ago for under $1,000, and it does all kinds of amazing things. With all the automatic rhythm and music tracks, you can start playing viable stuff really quickly. From your stellar performances and writing for the FUUSA skits.

    If you do this, I could even come over and give you some lessons. I've never tried teaching piano, but I've studied with some great teachers, including John Lewis of the Modern Jazz Quartet. Could be fun!

    ReplyDelete