Jay came out of a "successful" surgery, the anesthesiologist told us.
Well… that's a creative understanding. The surgeon had a different take on it: The tumor, not the stomach/small intestine, is in fact causing the bleeding it turns out. This means there is nothing that can be done to stop the bleeding, and we hope he will transition to hospice care soon.
We are not sure how long he has, but we are told maybe a few days. My sister is doing her best to get home from a trip abroad quickly, and hopefully will arrive in time.
My mom and I are relieved that we tried this surgery. Dad has never been a "quitter," and making this final push assures us that we, and the doctors, have done everything possible to prolong dad's life.
We will update this blog when we know more. We will be reading Jay his email messages when he is awake. We will be limiting visitors to family and closest friends - please call or email before coming by.
- Janice
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Emily and Janice - This is to let you know that our prayers and thoughts have been with Jay since the onset of his illness. We were so happy that he was able to be in the LCA show one more time. Jay was a good friend, a wonderful neighbor and a very talented writer. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Jay and will continue to be. Dick & Heidi Lewis
ReplyDeleteThe Bromley cousins are all praying for Jay and his wonderful girls. We are all so terribly sadden by this news. Please tell our brave "cuz" that we love him. Ruthie, Martha, Billy, and Jackie
ReplyDeleteEmily and Janice,
ReplyDeleteI wanted to let Jay know how much he has not only meant to Joe, but to us as a family. He nurtured and supported Joe like no other boss has. And in allowing Joe to further his career here, our lives have been blessed as well. Jay always brightened up when Sammy came into the office (although, he didn't remember the support-the-head bit at first :) Jay has been a true friend to us, whether its been playing a round with Joe, or just with his constant kind words for me. Jay is much in my thoughts today...
I am so sorry that things have gone downhill so suddenly. It seemed that Jay was doing so well, in spite of the cancer. But it seems as though the cancer might win. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.
ReplyDeleteHold each other close. You will always be able to feel your love for one another, no matter what happens.
ReplyDeletePlease let jay know I am thinking of him. I was his intern many years ago and to this day he is the best boss I've had. His love of the capitol reminded me of my dad's...and my dad and his friend Gerry mcloughlin were how I got the job with gannett. I've been following the blog and wish I had gotten in touch earlier. I will be thinking of you and praying for your dad. Geri Anne fennessey
ReplyDeleteJay, wanted you to know that I am thinking about you and sending a hug and a big kiss. We are far away but we are there...... Love, Martha and Anna Mei.
ReplyDeletejanice. please tell jay that he has been an inspiration to me and so many of my fellow ny journos and his presence in the capitol is sorely missed. his intelligence. his sharpness. but most of all, his kindness for those who were coming up behind him. i can't say enough about what a wonderful guy he is...especially in a business full of not-so-wonderful people. i'll be thinking of him often in the coming days.
ReplyDeleteliz benjamin
Please wish Jay my best. My family and I are thinking of him.
ReplyDeleteMark Johnson
Dear Emily and Jay, Dan Hall sent me your blog which I started reading from the beginning this afternoon. It has afforded me the chance to catch up on Team Gallagher, and what a wonderful team it is. Well I remember our bike ride around Keuka Lake with your first daughter on a kiddie seat.
ReplyDeleteI am living in the Bronx now and completing my last few years teaching art/fashion in a high school here, and about to leave for Kentucky where I bought a getaway home a few years ago. (It is across the road from my sister.) If the New York Times closes before I move to Kentucky, as far as I'm concerned, NYC can no longer be The Center of the Universe as so many friends refer to it.
I forwarded your blog to Jacqui and Andy Germanow and to Jim and Pat DeCaro whom you met at our farewell party to Reno Nevada, and who inquire after you periodically.
Neither do I often pray, but becuase the New York Times once reported a credible study that showed it works, I pray for Team Gallagher with love,
As always, Elsa Bekkala, once Hall