At first it seemed as though Monday was the worst day, spending much of the night vomiting and feeling miserable. But that seemed to be topped yesterday, when I was subjected to a series of painful tests, one of which involved four burly guys restraining me so they could stick fingers down my mouth as the exam of my digestive track was going on.
But today took the cake, with lots of boredom interspersed with various agonizing tests also designed to check out what's going on with my stomach. The results today are that I have developed a couple of good-sized ulcers in my stomach. This seems to solve the mystery of where all the internal bleeding is coming from. So today was devoted to getting blood transfusions, influxes of water, and waiting around for the next test.
Grimmest news: if these delicate tissues tear again, it may be almost impossible repair without a massive abdominal operation - something I've already had done once and am not inclined to repeat.
So best case scenario: keep the acid in my stomach very low, and be extremely careful not to eat acidic food. Not much of a choice, but those seem to be the options right now.
Meanwhile, the immediate future seems to point to several days here, where they can watch me closely.
And that's the news from St. Peter's ICU.
Scribe's note: today's and yesterday's blog were dictated to daughter Janice. Jay is a super hero, but not totally super human.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Jay --
ReplyDeleteMy mom was in St. Pete's three weeks ago for a very similar problem, one which carried similar implications. I'm guessing some of the folks treating you are the same blessed individuals who took care of her. We were deeply grateful for their skill and dedication. She is pretty much better now. Best wishes to you for the same outcome.
Bob
Jay, I'm so sorry to learn of these new developments, but I have faith you'll prevail. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
ReplyDeleteJulie Lomoe
Thank you for the updates. Hang in there, I have faith things will get better.
ReplyDelete