Sunday, May 23, 2010

Another day, another prognosis

Given the prognosis and expectations, today was an unexpectedly good day. We have been waiting to write this blog in part because we don't want to jinx it.

Dad has had no signs of internal bleeding today: his blood pressure has stabilized, and all his vital signs are good. This despite the fact that his surgery did nothing to fix the cause of the bleeding tumor. Again, our understanding is that the tumor was bleeding because it has grown into adjoining blood vessels, and that this isn't a treatable or controllable condition.

We are all trying our best to take things moment by moment, or at least day by day. To keep in mind that the bleeding, which was life-threatening 3 days ago, could resume at any time. But also to permit ourselves a little bit of hope, even if it is only short-term hope for things like watching the Celtics game tomorrow night…perhaps even at home on our own tv.

Jay is lucid, though tired from the morphine he is taking to control the pain from Friday night's surgery. Dad spent the day with family - Mom's sister Judi came in from California, and his brother Neil arrived from Maine. He continued to eat a little more, and read his email messages when he was able.

We thank you all for your prayers and well-wishes, and ask you to keep sending them! We really do feel them here.

We are meeting with hospice care first thing in the morning to discuss our options for Dad's continued care, which could mean staying here on the 6th floor, moving to hospice, or even moving home. Dad tires easily, and we ask that visits still are limited to family and closest friends.

Author: Janice, with vetting by Mom and Dad

13 comments:

  1. Huzzah! Sounds like it was better today than yesterday. It certainly is no surprise that Jay is lucid in spite of all the (necessary) drugs. You ladies are an inspiration for all of us to remain positive. Keep the updates coming. Whatever it is that you're doing, it's working.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Alyssa -- Jay, I am sending you an email tomorrow via Janice's email account. Until then, know that Cory and I are here in sunny San Juan where we last spent some amazing time together, and we are sending sunshine in all its forms to all of you. Yankee says woof, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jay: I have been in Africa for the last 12 days. Saw lots of wildlife: they reminded me of Albany -- you, fresh from the LCA event, can fill in the blanks. Hang in there. My prayers are with you and your family. Godspeed. Dollinger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dean and I are thinking only positive thoughts for you and your family and I am "working my beads" for you big time. That's my rosary beads for you non Catholics. They are always with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jay: Just before an Albany Pro Musica concert yesterday, somebody who doesn't know you started talking about how terrific this blog is. (I like to think she was reading it on timesunion.com, of course.) "The way he has handled this is what you'd like to think you would do in that circumstance," she said. "He seems like such an amazing guy." True, that. You are inspiring people you've never known. And you're in our thoughts constantly. Rex

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jay - I'm thinking about you every day here in Indy and always – always remembering how you patiently helped me through the tough times I had years ago with GNS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jay:
    Thinking of you and the tremendous role model you have always been to us, not just as a fellow reporter, but also as a kind, intelligent, incredibly funny and very dedicated person who made and kept lifelong friends. I still remember being a young reporter listening to you arguing with the OTB guy about the public's right to know, and slamming down the phone and the whole TU newsroom applauding. Sending love and strength to you, Emily, Janice and Ellen.

    Ellen Rosen

    ReplyDelete
  8. We, at MIRA Coalition, are all thinking about you. Be strong!! Much love, MIRA team

    ReplyDelete
  9. ¶ I competed against Jay as a reporter here in the Capitol, I drank beers with him in Buffalo covering the Democratic convention, and I played him in golf. And I lost each time. He's got a hell of a vocabulary, but `quit' isn't in it. Every time I think this Red Sox fan can't possibly teach me something more about journalism or life, he does. Let us know what we can do. Our prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My love and prayers to you Jay, Emily, Janice, Ellen and Allyson. You are all amazing and have taken this journey together with love and respect. It's been a great fight, a lot of imformation shared, and an insight to you as a family and to Jay as the son of the best Scrabble players I've ever known. Peace and Love, Cate Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've long admired your dad's reporting. I read his reports from Albany in my local paper and found them to be absolutely the best analysis of NYS government. And his blog resonates because I've had breast cancer and I work with people with all types of cancer in my position with the Cancer Resource Center of the Finger Lakes (which is located in Ithaca). Although I never had the chance to meet your dad, I've always thought of him as a mensch. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.
    Bob Riter

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jay,

    Peter and I hold so many wonderful memories of our time spent over the years with you and Emily. You’ve enriched our lives with your friendship in more ways than I can recount.



    Thank you for serving as our personal political analyst. We’ve grown dependent on your insights into the workings (or non-workings) at the NYS Capitol. I’ve always loved how animated and passionate you become when discussing NYS politics. I hope you know that your friends frequently quote you as the voice of authority. When discussing NYS politics, we add weight to arguments by throwing in a “Jay says…” or “According to Jay…” reference.



    Your wonderful sense of humor and love of a good time are what I cherish most. I keep flashing on an image of you and Bob Franklin, wearing cowboy hats, belting out a ‘60s song into toy plastic microphones in my living room (I have an incriminating photo of this). Wish I had a recording of your rendition of “California Dreamin.” You’ve always amazed me with your recall of song lyrics.



    You’re forever in my thoughts. I know that Emily, Ellen and Janice - those strong wonderful women – are taking wonderful care of you. I hold you all close to my heart. The love that surrounds you is a testament to the wonderful person you are.



    Love, Donna



    Peter seconds everything Donna has said and further writes:



    Jay,

    I’ve enjoyed and even sometimes been improved by every minute I’ve spent with you. I never realized one could nap at a CapRep play and still hold forth on it afterwards until our recent outings. It seems like only yesterday when I was grilling pork to fatten you up for your first trip to Boston and only the day before that when we four shared camp mildew at Loon Lake with our canoes; and so much in between. You’ve been in my thoughts every day this past year and will continue to be because there are a litany of things to remind me of you. Red Sox, Yankees (how you hate them), golf, tennis, sailing, poker, journalism in any form – you get the idea. And, I haven’t even started to list the people. If that’s our shot at immortality you’ve got it in spades.

    Love you Jay,

    Be Resolute

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's with sadness I got word today of Jay's death. I was only yesterday I was talking to people about him, how terrific a reporter he was and how he took to heart the trust we have with our readers in this republic. He was a hawk on taxing and spending, a watchdog on those who would cheat the citizenry. He cared and wrote about important things to people in their lives: jobs, food on the table and a roof over their heads, an education for their children and hope that they'd have a better life than their parents. He was what a reporter should be. He was a great colleague. He'll be missed. Chris and I were so glad to see him at the LCA Show this year. He was terrific. It was good to see Janice and Ellen, too. A tribute to him. They're working on the side of the angels in their lives. Our sincere sympathy to Emily, the "girls" and the rest of the family. Goodbye, boy. Jeff Stinson

    ReplyDelete