Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Good Bye Boys

We have both known we would have to write this blog since the day we started it almost a year ago.

We will try to do our dad justice, and be clear and direct and not too sad or sappy, and to laugh as we cry.

ALBANY, NY_Jay Gallagher, 63, died at about 8:30 Monday evening. He was surrounded by his family as he had wanted. Our father passed quickly and without much pain.

He spent his final day resting, and giving his visitors and callers a hard time about overspending, late budgets, and high property taxes. He muttered, while in a sleepy morphine state, "school board elections." He died at the time of a rare television trifecta: a Red Sox game, Celtics game and the 24 season finale were on at the same time. The decision of which to watch seemed to be too much for him.

He was a great man, father, husband and friend. We thought that was our secret, more or less, until this year. We have been totally overwhelmed at how many other people have figured this out - the emails that have poured in over the past year, and especially in the last week, touched him and our family deeply.

After he passed, we tried to talk about our memories of him but it was hard to come up with just one, or ten, things. We talked about how deeply he affected every part of our lives - his integrity, along with his love of politics, family and sports, shaped us. We sang his favorite Beach Boys song together (a little bit badly - as he would). And we cried because we will miss him.

It is actually really scary to write this blog and NOT have it vetted by him. We have been honing our inner BS-meters, too-wordy filters, and grammatical correctness our entire lives. This is the first time we don't have our dad to give us the final edit.

Details will be forthcoming on this blog about the memorial service.

This blog was very important to dad, and he thought about what his "final blog" might say quite a lot. With the help of Yancey Roy, a longtime friend and colleague, here is the closest we can get to our father's "final blog" entry.
----------------
Everything felt like a long shot from the beginning. And it turned out to be just about what they said -- just shy of a year.

As the doctor who visited this morning said, pancreatic cancer is one of the most difficult "problems" in medicine. Seems like an understatement from this vantage point.

I don't want this to be maudlin. It's been a long -- and, in some ways, extremely short -- 11 months but I feel like at least we didn't flinch from taking any opportunity -- being daring enough to try whatever was available. The bitch is that every sign of progress was eventually met with a new complication. And the body just can't take it after a while.

It's been an amazing year in other ways. I've had a chance to more fully appreciate human relationships, let go of minor irritants (though I still had to ask friends about the Red Sox and Celtics this morning) and try my hand at new forms of journalism (blogging and radio).

I always said if I came through this fight, I'd be a changed man. Well, even though I didn't "come through this" as I hoped, I am still changed - for the better.
----------------
We love you dad.

Written by Janice and Ellen. Vetted by Mom, Judi and Allyson.

58 comments:

  1. Dearest Janice and Family,

    I send my condolences through this seemingly unfeeling platform of the web. Jay was a lucky man to have so many who cared so deeply about him and to have such support through through a strenuous battle. Thank you Jay for sharing your life and thank you to your family for continuing that.

    So much love and respect,

    Bhavna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rest in peace, Jay, it was great knowing you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You strike the tone you wanted.
    So much love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart is with you all. Jay will be so missed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellen and Peter ReeseMay 25, 2010 at 7:37 AM

    Farewell to the best investigative reporter and analyst we have ever known. Loveably irascible, he had more positive effect on government than he would ever realize. He was proud of his family and crammed a lot of life into too few years. We will miss him.

    Love and condolences to family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My deepest condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully written -- I think he would be proud of you, for many many reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful post. Jay would be proud. Thank you. He will be missed by all but the most insincere politicians and always remembered fondly by journalists, such as myself, who could only aspire to be half the reporter he was. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and the family. Jay was a remarkable individual, as this past year has shown. We all can take a lesson from the grit and humor he has shown throughout this battle -- and his message that we should relish life every moment we have.
    Gary Craig

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was so sad to read the news this morning. I was an avid reader of Jay's work for many years. My condolences to his family and close friends. Life is precious and I am sure you have so many special memories to carry you through this difficult time.
    A reader from Honeoye Falls

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sad this morning. Jay was an exceptional man who touched the lives of many people. I am thinking of you all... Janice, Ellen, Emily, Allyson, and Judi... and sending you my positive energy and lots of hugs.
    Love nikki

    ReplyDelete
  12. They say a man is only as great as the women in his life, which I happen to believe. If it's true, then Jay's daughters and wife must be truly amazing people. All my condolences.

    I like to say I graduated from the "Jay Gallagher School of Journalism", and I will proudly carry that banner with me for the rest of my life.

    -Dan Wiessner

    ReplyDelete
  13. My thoughts and prayers are with you guys.

    I remember the last time I spoke to Jay in person. It was during Thanksgiving and I saw him at a neighborhood party. I'd just been laid off from my job and was pretty depressed about it. I was thinking about going to Journalism School and Jay was nice enough to indulge me in talking about the journalism industry that night. Up to that point, I hadn't known him too well beyond the traditional neighborhood kid/parent roles, but it was nice to share a common interest with him - he being a veteran journalist, myself an aspiring one - and it was clear he was still passionate about it...even after all his years doing the job.

    The month after, I got his book for Christmas, which he signed with a personal note. It was inspiring. I've since enrolled in J School due in part to his work as a political reporter. Hopefully I'll be able to do half what he did in his time working in Albany.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great reporter. Great guy. Knew his mission.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm terribly heartbroken for you. Jay was a wonderful and fair reporter. Thinking of you all. Betsy McCormack

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Ellen and all her family,
    My deepest thoughts and sympathies are with you. I am not a big blog follower (as you know) but I have just read through much of yours and am so moved by your dad's and your loving, funny, political, scientific and smart posts. I am so glad you were able to make it home so you were all together, because that's clearly what your family is so about.
    Lots of love and strength for now and going forward-
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jay, you will be much missed. Thanks for all your work in making sense of the nonsense that so often is Albany. You've helped us all in covering it--and you've helped your state.

    To the Gallagher family--you should be proud to have helped Jay so much in this fight.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, he knew his mission I agree and great guy I agree ! I never met his children, but he always spoke to me about you and we compared notes with daughters growing up. I know he was a proud and happy dad.

    I have great memories of him and my husband, Tom Bergin, (and many others) at wonderful LCA shows.
    What more to say except , yes, he will be missed and he will be remembered. Our thoughts are with you all.
    Cecily Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've all created something - community and meaning - by inviting us to participate in and witness Jay's journey. We have benefited from your family's generosity, transforming the too-often hidden transition from life to death into something tangible, noble, and inspiring. I am so proud of how you embraced, even when angrily or in confusion, the realities of the life cycle we are all inevitably circling, and so honored to have been a part of Jay's amazing adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Everyone at The Associated Press in New York state is deeply saddened by Jay's death. It was an honor to call him a colleague and competitor. Our thoughts are with his family and friends as they take the next steps in this indescribably difficult journey.
    Sincerely,
    Rik Stevens
    News Editor/Albany

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Ellen and family,

    I would like to express my deepest condolences to all of you. May you always find comfort and peace in the wonderful memories of your dad. What a special blessing he was to all of you.
    My thoughts and prayers are with your family.
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  22. Emily, Janice, Ellen and Allyson,

    We are so saddened by this morning’s news. Knowing that this day was inevitable doesn’t make its arrival any easier.

    We, though, are also honored to have known Jay and to have had our lives interact with his in different ways over many years. As so many have written, he was fun and funny, a man of integrity, a gentleman working in a field (or fields if you consider both journalism and politics) where being a gentleman is too often seen as a flaw. He was also an inspiration – particularly these past eleven months. Through the highs and the lows, Jay always found something positive, and through this blog his sharing so much with so many was a wonderful gift. His approach these past months is a lesson we will carry with us – and so, Jay, you continue to inspire!

    Emily, Janice, Ellen and Allyson, you all, along with Jay, are in our thoughts and hearts.

    Leslie & Michael Moran

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jay and his family showed great courage in facing his struggle with cancer. My wife Judith, who knew Jay both as a reporter and a fellow Unitarian traveler, shared with me the many inspirational blogs, a mixture of humor and bittersweet truth.

    He was one of the few veterans at the State Capitol that seemed to rise above the jaded cynicism that comes with the beat to believe that change was still possible. And he always treated everyone with respect, whether they were the powerful deal makers that most reporters trailed after or the community activists pleading the cause of the least powerful.

    He will be sorely missed in so many ways. Our prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Emily, Ellen, Janice and Allyson:
    What a beautiful final blog. Your dad would have loved it. I will remember many wonderful things about working with him, but I will also remember over these many years, the light that came into his eyes whenever he talked about his wife and daughters. He adored all of you, it was very clear. My thoughts and prayers are with you, and my deepest sympathies.

    Ellen Rosen

    ReplyDelete
  25. We'll miss you, Jay.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I didn't know any of you well, and some of you not at all, but this morning I grieve with you and celebrate Jay's life with you, and wish you all the continued peace and joy and patience and honesty you somehow managed not only to keep with you these last eleven months, but to share so openly with your loved ones and with perfect strangers.

    Kim (Piper)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. It was beautifully written.

    My thoughts have been with Jay often throughout his illness and it was a privilege to be able to get to know him better through his radio appearances and this blog.

    I can only hope to live life with the of passion and enthusiasm that he had for his work, interests, hobbies, friends and of course family.

    My deepest condolences.

    Andy Royne

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear Emily, Janice, Ellen and Allyson,

    I guess we all knew this probably was coming, while still hoping it wouldn't.
    That doesn't make it easier to bear.
    Deepest thanks to Jay and to you for sharing all these most-personal insights over the past year.
    The remarkable blog was another confirmation of Jay's remarkable character, courage and humor. The last one brought yet another tear to my eye.

    John Street

    ReplyDelete
  29. Deepest condolences to your family. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a beautifully written post -- for a beautifully lived life. Jay, you'll be missed. Sending love to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  31. RIP. I've read Jay's work over the years and he will be missed by everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dear Gallagher Family: It is with great sorrow to learn of Jay's passing. I've had the distinct pleasure of knowing and working with Jay for many years. To put it simply, he was nice to be around. Please accept my heartfelt condolences. Jim Denn

    ReplyDelete
  33. Emily et al,
    Such sadness to hear of Jay's passing. He was a great man - a tough journalist, a funloving guy, a great father, and a hilarious performer on stage at the LCA show. He was so welcoming to me when I was in the GNS office for three years in the early 1990s.
    I hope you sing GoodBye Boys at the memorial service.
    Love, David Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  34. Gallaghers,

    Here's a link to a profile of Jay I wrote for Colby Magazine a few years back, after his book came out. It recounts his early journalistic exploits in Waterville. The baseball coach got mad!

    http://bit.ly/9la2G0

    david wilson

    ReplyDelete
  35. Dear Emily, Janice, Ellen, and Allyson,

    We are thinking of you during this time. Jay was such a remarkable person, and the world will miss him dearly. The four of you, as his family, have been touched by his warmth, humor, and infinite love and carry it with you always.

    Love, Jess & Lytton

    ReplyDelete
  36. TO THE FAMILY OF JAY:
    I'M EMMANUEL BESTMAN I DIDN'T KNOW JAY BUT I'VE HEARD AND READ ALL GOOD THINGS ABOUT HIM. I KNOW HE WAS A MEMEBER OF FRIENDS OF TROPIC AND THEY'RE LIKE FAMILY TO ME SO I CONSIDER JAY TO BE FAMILY AS WELL. MY SINCERE CONDOLENCE OUT TO YOU AND I KNOW HE'S RESING IN PEACE WITH THE ALMIGHTY. GOD'S BE

    ReplyDelete
  37. Janice!!
    I'm sorry you and your family are going through this right now. It must be very scary. But I just want you to know that your Dad was indeed a good man, though I did not really know him, but I have seen him through you. May he rest in peace please let's know if anything; will always be there for you. You are not alone.

    Rakib

    ReplyDelete
  38. Emily, Janice, Ellen, and Allyson:

    So sorry to hear the news.

    I’ve always sort of envied Jay for the way he could balance his job as a news bureau chief in Albany with the other, more important things in his life -- like family and friendship, and decency to others.

    In all, I worked with Jay for nearly eight years. But it’s a memory of one of my first days in the bureau there in Albany that always leaves me with a smile.

    I was covering my first State-of-the-State speech in Albany. I wanted to do a good job. In editing my story on a tough deadline, though, Jay found something peculiar.

    He asked me if perhaps Mario Cuomo might have said there would be no “sacred cows” in the upcoming state budget, rather than no “scared cows.” He did so with a chuckle. He could have been gruff with a young reporter, or embarrassed me, or even gotten angry at me. But instead he was gentle, and yet I got the message to be more careful.

    For sure, Jay as a journalist did not ever seem to have any “sacred” cows, and probably no “scared” cows, either. Jay was as hard-charging, and single-minded as any reporter or bureau chief I’ve known in getting a story.

    At the same time, there was always this incredible other energy and devotion, to his family. As for the rest of us, we are the better to have known him.

    -- Billy House

    ReplyDelete
  39. Dear Jay: I know you are reading this, pushing away the morning papers, scanning "leads," searching for by-lines. Ask Menkin, Stone and Sinclair about New York's political world: I am sure that they have a well-earned chair ready for you at the table. You done good, Jay. Tom Murphy would be proud of your work: I am just proud to be your friend and I refuse to use the past tense. I am sure you and your family will understand. God bless all. Dollinger.

    ReplyDelete
  40. My heart is saddened by the news of Jay's passing. You have so much love in each of you and Jay loved each of you with all his heart. Your posting of his passing was perfectly written reflecting his style and humor. The tributes written are quite a testament to a man who was well respected and loved. You have memories which will warm your hearts forever.
    God bless you all.
    Cate Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  41. Jay - arriving back in town and seeing the LCA video, I was going to email you today and raz you. If you could get away with that - I should really consider singing at the Silver Bay talent show. But - you have skipped town. You have become a consummate hugger in the past year - I am going to miss the hugs. Who knew how much you coveted eyebrows? I have an urge to go out right now and buy a set of goofy eyebrows to wear in your honor. I think it would make both of us smile.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  42. All of us over here at WAMC are sending our thoughts to Jay's friends and family. We are re-airing the one-hour interview Jay did with Alan Chartock in 2009 this Friday at 1 p.m. in honor of Jay's life.

    ReplyDelete
  43. It was an honor to have worked -- long distance and so many years ago -- with Jay. My very best wishes to his entire family.
    Chris Weinstein (Collins)

    ReplyDelete
  44. My thoughts are with you all. Thank you Jay and family for writing with such courage, wit and honesty, for sharing your brave struggle with your readers. It touched many, particularly those like me who've also lost a loved one to this cruel and unfair disease.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  45. Dear Janice and Ellen:
    Thank you for the beautiful tribute to your dad. Please accept my condolences. I first got to know you when we were in Y-Indian Guides with my son, Ben, about 150 years ago. Since then, I saw Jay at various professional gatherings and also at the UU General Assembly in Long Beach, CA in 2003. I'm saddened by the loss, but we're all better for having known Jay. Dick Chady, The Villages, FL.

    ReplyDelete
  46. As a Page One editor at the Poughkeepsie Journal from 1989-95, I only knew Jay Gallagher the byline, but to me it always meant quality reporting and writing we could count on. That byline was on the PJ front page a lot, definitely during the state legislature's annual late-budget farce, as well as his column on our op-ed page.

    May the high regard your husband, father and friend was held in help ease your hurt in these sorrowful days.

    ReplyDelete
  47. You have my deepest condolences. Jay was one of the best -- a fantastic journalist and a fantastic guy. He was a straight shooter with a dynamite sense of humor. I'm going to miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Emily:
    My deepest condolences to you and the girls.
    All these long years since I last saw you and Jay I kept an eye on Jay's career and enjoyed reading his stories. He was the only other Michigan Fellow in our class working for a Gannett newspaper.
    I feel privileged that he and I exchanged emails this past winter when I became curious about his take on Gov. Patterson. It was at that time I learned of his illness.
    I will always remember him as the young, bright and vibrant journalist I last saw some 30 years ago in Ann Arbor.

    Best wishes,

    Tom Kotynski
    Great Falls, MT

    ReplyDelete
  49. As former editor in Utica, N.Y. I often had the opportunity to work with Jay. He was helpful to a fault, and was always willing to share the vast knowledge he had of New York politics. The Gannett bureau in Albany was small, but Jay's leadership and presence made sure that it had a much bigger impact. He was a professional in every sense of the word in a world where professionalism sometimes runs short.

    -- Jon Broadbooks, Springfield, Ill.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I'm so sorry for your loss. I've been following this blog for a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  51. My thoughts and prayers are with your family. My Dad died from pancreatic cancer; though he was at the age of 82 it was still extremely difficult even though it was quick. I have had ben touched by several people that have died from this disease and I pray daily for some glimmer of progress in battling it. Jay has touched many lives in his journey. God bless him.

    ReplyDelete
  52. When I worked at the AP in the Capitol, Jay was one of the few people I liked to see walk in our office, even if he was a sox fan. A great reporter and always a great guy to be around. It's not fair. We'll miss him.

    --Mark

    ReplyDelete
  53. Thanks for sharing your life with us. It's been an inspiring narrative.

    Cheers-
    Buff Huse

    ReplyDelete
  54. I'm so sorry for your loss. When I was in Rochester and Niagara Falls, I had several opportunities to work with Jay. His knowledge and professionalism was impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Bill, Maimouna, Sally and AbrahamMay 26, 2010 at 7:14 PM

    Janice, Mrs. Gallagher, Ellen, Judi, and Allyson

    We were sorry to receive the news today from Mamadou about Jay, our sincere condolences. We want you to know that our thoughts and prayers are with you.

    Yours in Ithaca,

    ReplyDelete
  56. I will miss conversations with Jay. He managed brilliantly to unravel the Gordian Knot of NY State politics enough for this cartoonist to glean some semblance of understanding.

    I am so grateful that when I put pen to paper and take on Albany - Jay's hand will still be in there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Rest in peace and paradise, Jay.

    Myra

    ReplyDelete