I haven't often heard hospitals compared to the old "ten blind men and an elephant" story, but after today in the hospital, I can see the similarity.
I can also see that medicine also resembles art more than science.
I haven't kept track of how many nurses and doctors we've talked to today, nor the number of different opinions they have expressed about my condition.
But they are considerable and all seemed well informed and persuasive when they are presenting them.
Maybe what I need is another operation to clean up what looks like one remaining bleeding ulcer, one doctor said. That doesn't sound so smart, intoned another who pointed to my history of major surgery and recent pancreatic cancer diagnosis .
Another suggestion was watching to see if the current treatment ( Tuesday's endoscopy, no water or food by mouth, and healing medication) pays off. The down side of that, however, is that I'm losing weight and strength so quickly that it's not clear how long that will be a viable option.
Finally, how about another non-surgical procedure to see what's happening with the internal bleeding? That seemed to have the most support, and probably what we are going to try tomorrow.
Things might always change, though.
(scribe: Emily)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good God Jay. I hope "they" figure something out to make things better really soon. Thus far I have the gift of good health, though that could change at any moment. Keep up your good attitude! If it were me, I'd be screaming - though that might be difficult if I were on IV "nutrition." Let's hope tomorrow brings some relief and some results.
ReplyDeletesending many prayers
ReplyDelete