Monday, November 23, 2009

The grass shouldn't always be greener

My sister-in-law Judi and I were sitting in a popular lunch place today, leisurely attacking our grilled ham-and-cheese sandwiches, as dozens of well dressed people buzzed by us. They seemed intent on getting their food, eating it and getting back to work, even sometimes checking their blackberries while they waited in line or ate.

As is often the case when I'm in such places these days, I was thinking how much I envied those people, with firm schedules, deadlines and a sense of accomplishment likely on their daily agendas while a largely empty afternoon loomed before me.

But later Judi, a former corporate human-resources manager who has been retired for eight years, said her attitude is to enjoy such moments and not have to worry about rushing back to work. While staying active with volunteer work, hobbies and friends, she has adjusted to a slower pace of life.

Savor it, she suggested, and I did manage to recall all of the rushed meals, hurried trips to the Capitol, editors needing stories minutes after a news event, spokesmen who didn't return calls, politicians who wouldn't give me a straight answer and the other daily frustrations of my former life.

I am sure back in those days the sudden lifting of the burden of producing blogs and news stories daily would have seemed like a great relief sometimes. And
since that is my situation now, of course it makes the most sense to enjoy what ever hand you're dealt.

So I'm trying. There are obviously worse things in life than sleeping in, taking long walks, lingering over meals, reading my fill of novels and catching up on e-mails.

2 comments:

  1. I really look froward to your (almost) daily updates. Keep up the good work, and take time to smell the roses.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't say I totally understand, but I can relate. I really, REALLY miss working full time, much more than I expected. Shouldn't I be content having the time to write my book every day, sleep in if I want to, spend time with family? Of course. But I also miss the daily grind and that sense of accomplishment you mentioned -- it always came so quickly after I filed a story or met a deadline. Now I have to remind myself that finishing a page or a chapter or a draft IS accomplishment. And for you, kicking this cancer's ass is an accomplishment! We're still accomplishing -- just in a different way.

    ReplyDelete