Off to hit the Mass. Turnpike again today to travel to Boston. Too bad you can't rack up frequent-driver and toll-payer points. At least it gives us a chance to buy that (relatively) cheap Mass. gas.
My first cyberknife appointment is scheduled for 11 a.m. tomorrow at Beth-Israel Deaconess Hospital, with additional two-hour sessions at 10 a.m. Tuesday and 11 a.m. Wednesday. It is hard to imagine how I am going to lie still that whole time, but lots of other people have done it so I guess I can too.
Still up in the air is who will pay for it. Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield promised us an answer by tomorrow. Of course, we're going ahead with it either way and are prepared to wrestle with them more later.
This treatment is actually one of the major payoffs for going to Boston for treatment, since there is nothing similar offered in Albany. And this is offered as a replacement for six weeks of radiation (for an hour a day, five days a week) that is the standard of care here. That sounds grim.
We had a scare this weekend when the day after the last round of chemo I got a fever that spiked at 101.9 degrees. I was afraid that would throw off the cyberknife timing. However, with the help of a little Tylenol, it quickly receded.
Anyway, I'm bringing the new Dan Brown book to listen to on CDs to help pass the time. I will be glad when it's over. We won't know how successful the treatment has been in shrinking the tumor for a month or so.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We recently had to wait 6 weeks to get the results of Michael's radiation treatments. It seemed unreasonable and impossible to wait that long - but, before we knew it there we were getting the results. It was not the big deal disclosure/announcement we imagined in our heads at all. The tumor has shrunk - there is no longer pressure on the spinal cord! and I love looking at the prints of the MRI to prove it!
ReplyDeleteCourse now we are dealing with a whole new challenge - but, thank goodness we don't have to worry about that tumor too.
Best to you this week! We will be thinking of you and sending our loving positive prayers.
I am sure you will do fine. We treat using the CyberKnife here on Long Island and it doesn't take two hours and the time goes by fast. Best of luck to you!
ReplyDelete