Thursday, November 5, 2009

Congratulations to Yankees? Sure




This is a copy of a note sent over my name today to a friend who is a Yankee fan:

Dear Tom:

A warm congratulations on the Yankees World Series Win. I do believe that is number 27 -- now 20 more than the Red Sox. Now, I know much has been made of the team "buying'' its championship, so I was heartened to see the likes of Jeter, Posada, Rivera and Pettitte play such important roles in the series. And, yes, I certainly noticed that the clinching game for the Yankees came at the hands of Pedro Martinez.

So, again, I'm happy for you, and the Yankees.

Sincerely,

Jay Gallagher

No, of course I didn't write this, which is why signature issues on the Internet are such a mess. It was a figment of the imagination of a Capitol reporter who knew I would be snarly at best today and so took it upon himself to express my sentiments over last night's win. Makes me wonder about the credibility of the stories he writes about the supposedly "dysfunctional'' state government.

My congratulations to Yankee fans (who won the World Series last night) have been more of the snide variety, like, "you finally got your money's worth,'' or "it couldn't happen to a more obnoxious group of fans'' (Phillies are a close second on that race too, especially compared to the dignified academics who tend to populate Fenway Park - The "Jeter sucks, and A-Rod swallows'' signs you see occasionally there notwithstanding.)

It's time to move on, to revel in the collapse of New York's professional football teams (actually Jersey-based) as well as the ongoing struggles of its hockey and basketball teams, while the Patriots and Celtics sweep all before them. (It's too early to worry about the Bruins.)

Spring training is a mere four months away. Which reminds me, if a team can't clinch the title until November, it shouldn't count.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Jay. I just read your warm note congratulating the Yankees on their win. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete