Those who read this blog closely will recall the fiasco when Emily and I cared for Charlie, Janice's English sheepdog, a few weeks ago. We don't seem to have the patience or aptitude to be pet owners.
That experience would seem to have bolted the already closed door on the chances of us ever having a pet. But a crack has appeared.
While at Ellen's this week, her cat, Maya, jumped up on my lap and then purred contently while I stroked her back. I liked that. I'm home a lot. Anyone would like to have an affectionate critter around, especially one who doesn't demand much.
I used to be allergic to cats but that is one aspect of my health that seems to have improved over the years. No more itchy eyes, sniffling and sneezing when a cat is around.
The big advantage cats have over dogs is there is no need to walk them or pick up after them. The only chores appear to be buying and putting out food and cleaning out the litter box.
We had a dog only briefly when I was a kid I remember my mother complaining a lot about the care it took (my sister had sprung it on them without warning one summer when a couple she knew split up.) But we all loved him for the few years he was around.
As parents we favored goldfish and other low-maintenance creatures for our kids. Janice demanded a dog when we moved here from Rochester in exchange for her acquiescence - she was 7) but we bargained her down to a gerbil. The animal bit her a few weeks after we moved here, ending that experiment.
The odds are still against any change, but we plan to spend three nights with Ellen and Allyson next week during my cyberknife treatments. Maybe Maya will be cute and cuddly enough to open the crack a little wider.
Jay, be careful with cats. Bona fide scientific studies have demonstrated that cats are experts at psychologically manipulating people. As an example, I am currently permitted to live in my house courtesy of our five Siamese cats.
ReplyDeleteThis is big news! As a lifelong cat-lover, I can only encourage your change of heart. They are cuddly and affectionate (assuming you pick right) and great company. Generally low-maintenance, though we have one these days who has a persistent, unexplained urinary problem that requires her to be on both special food bought from the vet and drugs, probably an anti-depressant, for LIFE. So they're not all low-maintenance!
ReplyDeleteHi Jay,
ReplyDeleteThe cat in the photo looks a lot like my cat Lunesta, who is currently curled up and dozing in a stationery box right next to my computer. I'm glad you're "opening the door" to cats.
Robb and I had dogs for many years, but after our last dog died, we switched to cats, and we'll probably never switch back. Ours are amazingly affectionate, and having a cat curled up and purring while you're reading or watching TV is amazingly therapuetic. They also give you an excuse not to get up and do something for fear of inconveniencing them.
Ours do like to knock things off desks and change phone and computer settings by walking on keyboards, etc., but they're worth it. You can also leave them alone for a weekend.
Julie Lomoe's Musings Mysterioso