Tuesday, August 11, 2009

New favorite day of the week

Tuesdays don't get enough respect (I refuse to quote the ungrammatical Rodney Dangerfield).

Tuesdays are too distant to use for long weekends, there is no Tuesday night football, they aren't hump days and they don't even have a relationship with Fridays. I love 'em anyway.

My newfound affection comes from its distance from chemo day. I feel as good now as I did before getting the chemo last Friday, and am not that close to the next chemo day. The way to think of it is the chemo did a real number on my cancer cells while everything else bounced back. The aches and pains are gone and the tiredness has subsided to pre-chemo levels.

Plus the sun is shining and the birds are singing, although I realize Tuesdays have no monopoly on that activity. Have to give a special nod for Tuesdays in August.

My Dad for years had Tuesdays off - he had to work Saturdays back in the days when there were Saturday afternoon newspapers. He always Tuesdays were always good days to do errands and get things done, but he didn't like his weekends getting chopped in half.

This Tuesday was also good because it was the first time in a week I didn't get depressed opening the paper to see a story about another Red Sox loss.

I don't want to get carried away here. Any day when I open my eyes, get out of bed, hug my family and otherwise experience the world is a good day.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jay,
    I just caught up with your recent posts and learned that you decided to pass for now on the idea of going to Baltimore for more talks and tests. To me, that sounds like a good decision, but then I hesitate to comment, since I have absolutely no idea what I'd want to do if I were in a situation like yours.

    I do have some comments on blogging, though. I've been obsessively involved in it since May lst, and I'm proud to say I now have about 4,500 hits, so people seem to be coming back. But the ones who leave comments are a small minority. Do you want comments here? If so, maybe you want to let people know (on your blog, of course!)

    I'm finding that blogging and expanding my presence on the Internet is the most exciting creative endeavour I've been involved in for years - maybe even more than writing my mystery novels! I think it's a whole new world, and one you can be actively engaged in even without getting out of bed or leaving your bed (as I'm sure you've discovered already.) But once it becomes more interactive, it's a whole different game than solitary writing.

    Right now I'm blogging about my experiences exhibiting my art at the 1969 Woodstock Festival - I think you'd enjoy these posts!

    Hope you continue to tolerate the chemo fairly well and that you can go on riding your bike.

    Julie Lomoe
    Julie Lomoe's Musings Mysterioso
    http://julielomoe.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jay! Tuesdays are my usual day off with Nate, so I totally agree that they're great. Glad to hear you started chemo and that you realized bike rides have to wait a few days. I'm going to see if I can get my family out Albany-way sometime in September ... think you could make time for a visit sometime that month? I promise we won't let Nate jump on you!

    ReplyDelete