Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Happy anniversary

Today is the two-month anniversary of my abdominal surgery. Time flies when you're having fun.

Back on June 25, the doc in Boston was unable to get the tumor on my pancreas out (too tightly wrapped around a vital artery) but he did rearrange my digestive tract to get it out of harm's way at least temporarily and inserted some markers into the mass which is supposed to make radiation therapy more effective when I undergo that later this fall.

I was comparing scars with someone today and it's nice to see my nine-inch gash will fade eventually. I still feel a little tightness in my gut and my abs aren't exactly washboard strength, but otherwise have no ill effects from the eight-hour procedure. I suspect some situps are in my future.

Lots of water under the bridge (also over the dam) since then. Some hard-earned wisdom, improved perspective and better understanding of life have come my way, along with true awe at how nice people can be.

There of course have also been less pleasant experiences. What does it feel like not to be tired?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, the marvels tend to come regarding people.

    How generous and wonderful they can be, and how certain situations really call out their best selves.

    And, and in both of our lines of work, among innumerable others, how ridiculously and incredibly awful they can be, and how other situations seems to ignite their worst selves.

    May the wind be at your back, the icky folks down the road apiece, and chocolate right around the corner.
    PJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jay - You continue in my thoughts and prayers. Your blog is fantastic! Reminds me how much I miss having your column in our paper. Stay strong, stay happy. What a wonderful support network you have in your family and friends. God bless. Donna Donovan

    ReplyDelete