My first reaction to the New York Post story today that Bernie Madoff, the notorious swindler, has pancreatic cancer, was there is some justice in the world. But on further reflection I decided I wouldn't wish it on anybody.
The story, denied later in the day by federal prison officials, is that he is taking as many as 20 pills a day while behind bars and is not doing well. His lawyer wouldn't comment on his condition. I hope the story is wrong.
Obviously my antennae perk up when I hear "pancreatic cancer'' these days, and am delighted to hear survival stories like Patrick Swayze's. I also read obits of people like 60 Minutes producer Don Hewitt who succumbed to the disease, with a closer eye than I would otherwise.
But generally I'm far less curious about other people's experiences with pancreatic cancer than I would have supposed before my diagnosis. Every case is unique, and generalizations I find not useful. I find it's hard enough just to think about my own situation.
Just have to mention one other news story today: NY Times reports that some people think the state needs a constitutional convention in the wake of this year's scandals and dysfunction so that state government can be reshaped. (One idea is to eliminate the state Senate and just go with one house, as Nebraska does. I understand the appeal of that). This was one of the first stories I did when I got to the Capitol 25 years ago. People even then thought state government was a mess in New York.
A dozen years ago I was responsible for spilling a lot of ink on the topic, (that means I wrote a lot of stories) which was on the ballot that year and will be again in 2017. (Voters said no to a convention by a margin of greater than 2 to 1 in 1997). The arguments either side of the issue, based on today's story, haven't changed a bit in the intervening years.
Nice to know some things don't change... And I hope Bernie Madoff gets to serve a long prison sentence.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment