We discovered some new streets to bike around just a couple of miles from our house today by taking a different turn than we usually do. This occasioned a deep thought from Emily.
Funny how the solutions to problems and new opportunities can be so close, she said.
The metaphor here is the trouble I have been having sleeping, and the fact that the solution is undoubtedly just in my mind - just a few thoughts away. The trick is to empty the mind of other matters - especially the thought that not being able to sleep is going to ruin the next day, which is of course a self-fulfilling prophecy.
I'm working on it. It's even harder than ferreting out pork-barrel spending in the state budget.
Round three of chemo is tomorrow. Then I get a week off before a second series of three "infusions'' in September.
The Times has a reporter, Dana Jennings, who has been blogging about his battle with prostate cancer, which seems to be going well. He had a print column the other day about how depressing oncology waiting rooms are in comparison with other doc's waiting areas, which of course are grim enough, with blaring TVs, long waits and 10-year-old magazines.
But he said those are better than oncology offices, which are much quieter because everyone seems exhausted as well as otherwise obviously not in the best spirits.
I'm fortunate that the treatment area here is not like that. The staff seems to have figured out a way to keep the atmosphere light. I might even catch a nap tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment