Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Celebration

Jay, Emily, Allyson & Ellen at Beth & Andre's wedding

Yesterday was the first time I had worn long trousers and dress shoes since June 12th. The occasion was the marriage of our longtime friend and neighbor Beth Clement, a elementary school teacher, to Andre Ray, a state trooper from Plattsburgh. A good time was had by all.

Unlike the wedding party in the recent YouTube sensation of the wedding entrance dance (performed by friends of Ellen & Allyson's from Grinnell College), this bridal party played it straight coming down the aisle. But Beth and her dad Tom brought the house down with their surprise father-daughter dance. After starting out with some traditional slow dance, they broke into several hip hop line dance moves and included Shout as well.

Tom was in his glory, as he deserved to be, considering what the nights festivities probably set him back.

Beth, now 28, and her twin sister Carrie were born 4 days before Ellen in May of 1981. The Clements have lived across the cul-de-sac since we moved here in 1984.

Since it was the day after my latest chemo treatment, I was lacking in stamina but managed to attend the ceremony and eat a hearty a dinner at the reception as well as greet lots of friends and neighbors.

One big change from just a few months ago is that I'm a big hugger. Everybody I see I insist on putting my arms around. I think this sort of startled one woman this weekend who hadn't heard that I was sick.

But what the hell, I'll be a hugger for the rest of my life.

1 comment:

  1. What a great looking family! And, in all the pictures I've seen of you, Jay, you never look happier than when you're surrounded by the women in your life. How lucky for you to have gained another fine woman in your inner circle.

    Huggin' is cool...just don't lose the edge, man. You're in that handful of people who appreciate (or so I've led myself to believe) my snarky sarcasm, and from whom I expect it. Solitary snarkiness...so lonely, so sad.
    PJ

    ReplyDelete