Wednesday, August 5, 2009

More than a victim

When I mentioned to Emily yesterday that I was feeling a little stronger, she asked me if that meant I could resume some of my daily chores, like doing the grilling and setting the table.

At first I was a bit taken aback, since I was thinking more along the lines of maybe playing golf a little ahead of the deadline or extending my bke trips.

But upon further reflection, which I have more time to do now than I used to, I realize that besides wanting to get rid of a little of the extra load she has been carrying, she was also challenging me to be more of a regular person again.

And what would be better than that?

So I'm a again the table-setter, and plan to be the grille chef sometime soon. Not sure how soon I want to be the dishwasher-emptier, table cleaner and trash collector, much less lawn mower, raker and edger. It's amazing to me that people can do all of those things and earn a living too. And I hear in their spare time some of them raise children.

It's too easy sometimes for someone in my position to lose touch with life, and I'm glad I've been nudged in the right direction. No one who can possibly avoid it wants to be a full-time victim.

4 comments:

  1. I read your blog daily and enjoy them all ... but,I love this post! and hurray to Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jay - glad to hear you are feeling stronger and I pray for the best as your treatment continues. I identified with many of your recent posts. As the father of two young boys, you described my life of trying to get chores done, work and raise family. It is quite a challenge. Also, I just returned from a vacation and read that NYT article on cancer research and found it very interesting. And. lastly, as part of our vacation I attended the Orioles-Red Sox 18-10 game at Camden Yards. My son and I are ardent Yankee fans and rooted for the O's to no avail, while sitting next to my brother and niece who like the Sox. I've always heard tv announcers talk about how, at away games, there are usually more Yankee (or Red Sox) fans in attendance than fans of the home team. I was really shocked to see this first-hand as there were at least 20 Sox fans to every one Oriole fan. Anyway, the Sox had the better game that day so they can get the wins out of their system before the big Yankee series tonight -- all the best, Mark Hansen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jay,
    Here in Albany we're looking foward to you continuing your all-important job of being a pain in the butt to politicians.
    We talk about you a lot here, sometimes we even speak well of you.
    I assume you are keeping all these postings? They are tremendous and someday you should consider sharing them with the world.
    You're an inspiration and we miss you. My prayers are with you and that amazing family of yours.
    Mike Gormley
    msgormley@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jay:

    I was happy to read you are back on the bike and getting more involved in household chores. Anything to help you feel connected with your friends, family and community is a blessing.

    I'm thinking of you often, and Emily and the girls, and know they have been a tremendous source of strength for you.

    Bound up those hills, friend. Stay in the low gears and keep the wind at your back. You're on the uphill climb now, but just wait for the view...

    My best to you and yours,
    Ron Kermani
    ronaldkermani@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete