Friday, August 28, 2009

Infusionless Friday

For the first time in four weeks, today I spent a Friday without getting chemotherapy.

The regimen I'm on calls for three weeks of what are called infusions (drips of medication from an IV bag into the bloodstream) , then a week to recover. I will repeat the process starting next week before getting a CT Scan in Boston in about a month to measure what the drug and the cancer have been doing lately.

I'm looking forward to a week without battling the effects of the drug, which like all anti-cancer medications attacks some good cells along with the bad (any cell that divides quickly). One common side effect that has been lacking is loss of hair, which I know doesn't do me that much good. I actually had to get a haircut yesterday and no, I get no discount for only having half a head of hair to begin with. But thanks for asking.

For the next round I will get the treatment on Thursdays instead of Fridays. The day after the infusion seems like the one with the biggest effect, so we decided it would be better if I were laid low Fridays rather than Saturdays.

Just for old times sake (actually for a blood test) Janice and I went to the chemo center today. I was again struck by the sociability and cheery disposition of the nurses and other staff which removes much of the grimness from the whole business.

There are a lot of worse things in life than getting cancer treatments.

2 comments:

  1. That's a total rip-off about the no-discount haircut. Lots of powerful people have a similar doo. Something should be done.
    PJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete