Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Oncologist doesn't follow script

The oncologist in Boston today didn't quite follow the script we hoped he would. He thinks I will need chemo for as long as I live (or it's effective) and emphasized there really is no cure for pancreatic cancer.

Still, he said the SC-Scan results are encouraging since there is no sign of the cancer spreading.

The decision I'm likely to have to make a couple of months down the road is how much discomfort to withstand from the chemo versus the protection it provides against the spread of the cancer. The problem is my body is tolerating the chemo less well (it is getting harder to find veins for the infusions and my thighs ache) the more often I have it.

He and the oncologist here will confer, and decide how to alter the chemo regime to try to take care of these problems. Meanwhile, I plan to be too involved in getting ready for our cruise and then being in the Caribbean to think too much about it right away.

2 comments:

  1. sounds like a good plan! I never heard - which cruise are you taking? and on the vein issue- Michael had a "port" installed and is tolerating that just fine. He will likely be having a stem cell harvest in February - they will then freeze those cells for use at a later time ... but, they did talk about him maybe needing a cath to harvest - that didn't make him very happy at all. I wonder if a port would be an option for you? anyway - a cruise sounds lovely - Martha took me on one once - God love her! I'd be interested in knowing which one you will be taking - maybe there will be a live webcam! and we can have Jay and the girls web sightings. Happy New Year cousin - hoping 2010 is brighter! love, r

    ReplyDelete