Sunday, December 13, 2009

I Need a Little Christmas Now

Six months ago today a surgeon at St. Peter's Hospital told me the mass that a CT scan had detected on my pancreas was probably cancerous. He said the mortality rate after five years was 80%. That diagnosis would be formally confirmed by a biopsy four days later.

Today I was sitting at a Christmas choral concert, listening to "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire" and "Silent Night'" and thinking how lucky I was to enjoy the music. As my doctor told me Friday, "worst case, you're holding your own." A couple of people we ran into at the concert told me told me that I looked strong and healthy, which is always good to hear - especially this week when the chemotherapy knocked me for a loop more than it had before.

I also have a new found respect for the potential of Christmas to lift my mood. As the Albany Pro Musica singers put it in "We Need a Little Christmas:"
For I've grown a little leaner,
Grown a little colder,
Grown a little sadder,
Grown a little older.
And I need a little angel
Sitting on my shoulder,
Need a little Christmas now.

2 comments:

  1. We were glad to see you yesterday. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jay - So glad to know you were out there in the audience today. I won't bore you with the details of how I found your blog, but I have been reading faithfully since you started writing. I am the Executive Director of Albany Pro Musica, and I have thought on at least two occasions of sending you a note with the suggestion that you come hear some music to give you a mental break from what life was sending your way. At any rate...I'm glad you were there, and I'm glad you found our music to be uplifting.
    Merry Christmas, Jay.
    Jean Leonard

    ReplyDelete