Tuesday, December 1, 2009

For everything there is a season

We walked this morning in the midst of a snow flurry - the first flakes of the year and the best indication, along with flipping the calendar page, that winter is on the way.

The main excitement about snow has always been that skiing will soon be possible. I'm hoping this year to still to be able to do some cross-country trails.

But of course winter will mean different things to us this year than it has in the past. First off, we're planning to take a cruise in January - something we have both long resisted because it seemed like too sedentary a way to spend a vacation, but now seems to fit our needs better. Best part is if I need to just sit or lie down, I can do that while the rest of the party can go have fun.

I also have a heightened sense of coziness this season. One of my real delights now is coming in from the cold and sitting or lying with a blanket on me, snug and warm. The best part of the day for me is feeling that coziness when I wake up, and knowing I don't have to leave the cocoon immediately to go out and face the world.

Christmas will also be a far different holiday as well this year. I hope I can use the opportunity to reflect on the joys that remain in life and not on what has been lost. Certainly I will appreciate another excuse to gather with family.

No comments:

Post a Comment