Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Good Christmas news

The doc gave us some good news today: my tumor has shrunk a little since the last time I was tested in September and there's no sign that the cancer has spread anywhere else. The radiation and/or chemo treatments I have been getting are apparently working, at least for now.

Merry Christmas, indeed.

What is not known at this point is how much of the tumor is still active, and therefore dangerous, and how much is scar tissue of cells killed by treatments. A new kind of test called a Pet-scan might resolve that issue, and I might have that done in a couple of more months after some additional chemo.

Meanwhile, I can exhale at least a little. I'm far from out of the woods, but some positive results is a nice way to end the year and gives us some basis for optimism.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays.

9 comments:

  1. Yay! Merry Christmas, that's great news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news, Jay! Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news, Jay! Pet scans have been around for several years and are used to pinpoint cancer cells. They are a very effective way to track progress of current treatments.
    Enjoy the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful news Jay! ahhh to be able to breathe just a little bit deeper ~ Merry Christmas indeed.
    Love to you and all your ladies. Wishing we lived closer - but, you are close to our hearts and prayers always. Cheers, Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  5. great news - Merry Christmas to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  6. Read the great news on your blog Jay. It made my Christmas a lot more special knowing you are doing well. Just keep remembering what I told you about my frirnd's father who was dancing away at her wedding. That will be you Im sure of it. Happy New Year to all of you.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been reading you now and then; that's really great news! Merry Christmas, and I hope the coming year will bring you even more improvement! Keep fighting, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the terrific news. This is a great Christmas present.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is wonderful news, Jay. I'm so happy for you and your family. And now we can count on you to help write the annual FUUSA dinner skit! I'm sure we'll be getting our marching orders from Chairman Bob before too long.

    ReplyDelete