Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Guest missed already

We took my sister-in-law Judi to the airport today, and she is now winging her way back to California after spending the last two weeks here.

This is the second time since I was diagnosed in June that she has traveled across the country to see us, and I miss her already.

She has provided not only invaluable help with chores like food preparation (especially Thanksgiving) cleaning up and shopping, she has been an amiable companion for me and someone on whose shoulder I can (and do) literally cry.

For Emily, who needed a break from putting up with not-always-cheery me, she also provided welcome company, and her nieces had an all-too-infrequent chance to connect with her.

Even though she has lived in California for almost as long as I have known Emily, we have stayed closely connected over the years. As a long-time corporate human-resources executive who retired about eight years ago, she has always made time for family - and especially for fabulous cruises and other trips she's taken the girls on.

When she was struck down by an unusual arm disorder last year, Emily went out to California to help out her only sister (a brother died as an infant).

The relationship is different now, with me most in need of comfort, and she once again has come through. I'm already looking forward to her returning later this winter.

1 comment:

  1. You've got such a great family, Jay. Talked to Ellen for a while at our high school reunion last weekend -- and met Allyson, too! Nice to put a name to all of the stories.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete