Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Road Trip Rigors

There are a lot of inconveniences that rise almost to the level of irritants when one is forced to be away from home for an extended period. I'm about to grapple with one of those.

It's time to turn on the Red Sox-Orioles game and unlike at home, where I without fail record the games on my DVR player, I'm forced to watch the action from Boston virtually "live". This has severely disrupted my time-tested technique to maximizing enjoyment of the games, I turn them on about an hour after they start and fast-forward through not only all of the commercials and pre-game pap but also frequently half-innings when the bad guys are at bat. In fact, if the opposing team threatens to score, I'll usually dash through the rest of that inning, rewinding only if the Sox hurler somehow wiggles out of the jam. When the Sox are up and they haven't been doing much offensively I might also fast forward them but then if I see they have scored, I rewind and savor every delicious moment of justice once again prevailing. There is an upside to my current situation of course: frequently when the Sox are on the road, the MLB package which is my video lifeline during the baseball season, will pick up the feed from the opposing camp. This forces me to listen to the inanities and slanted reporting of those from the dark side. Some, like Jim Palmer of Baltimore, are passably good. Others, like Hawk Harrelson of the White Sox, are unbearable. I prefer my slanted reporting and inanities with the proper prejudice. And please don't even get me started on the Yankees announcers.

1 comment:

  1. ahhh! come over to the National League - become a Cardinal fan! We have had the pleasure of listening to the Greats of Baseball announcers! Harry Caray was broadcasting when we first arrived in St.Louis - "Holy Cow", before him was Joe Garagiola, then the Great man - Jack Buck, son, Joe Buck, and now Mike Shannon.
    I have been keeping a daily watch on NEWS on JAY - and can't say enough good things about Team Gallagher! PLAY BALL! Love, Ruthie

    ReplyDelete