Tuesday, June 23, 2009

No Braces!

Just more tests today. We got some evidence why healthcare costs are spiraling out of control. Jay got an EKG and numerous blood tests at Beth Israel - the same tests that he underwent at St. Peter's in Albany on Friday. (The results of which were sent to Beth Israel). But, as David Brooks said in today's NY Times, the financial incentives all encourage more tests and procedures.

The results, though, were good: the anesthesiologist commented that with good scores for indicators like blood pressure, heart rate, pulse, breathing, etc., Jay seemed like he was "a really healthy guy."

Except for the pancreatic cancer, Jay commented.

Yeah, except for that, the anesthesiologist said.

He also asked Jay to stick out his lower jaw to indicate that his airway would be clear during surgery. Everyone noticed how crooked Jay's lower teeth are. But after a brief consultation, it was decided that Jay would forego braces.

Jay hopes to squeeze in a round of golf with his friend Jeff Clunie tomorrow, with Janice and Emily making their debuts as caddies. Weather forecast is for, surprise, drizzle and showers for the 100th straight day, but they will probably soldier on anyway.

Jay is due at the hospital at 6am Thursday for surgery.

9 comments:

  1. Hello, Jay
    So sorry to hear your news, but it sounds like you're in the best hands around. I'll be thinking about you and sending all kinds of good vibes on Thursday.
    Best wishes,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the surgery and best wishes for a speedy recovery. Our thoughts and prayers are with you at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jay: I can't believe you weren't willing to go for the braces! I mean, what's that Gannett dental insurance for?

    Thinking of you, Emily, Ellen and Janice. Your girls are terrific for doing this blog and letting us all keep up with how you are.

    Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks to Irene Jay Liu for highlighting our favorite "respected elder of the LCA" in a Times Union blog (and for her great coverage of Albany's lunacy).

    http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/

    Jay,you are so very LOVED AND RESPECTED AND APPRECIATED AND AND AND...

    Many thanks to the family for the fabulous slide show. Those pics really capture the MANY SIDES OF JAY. And I have a few choice ones I'll be forwarding to Ellen soon. Would one of you flippin' the bird (and wearing a Conehead wig) be inappropriate?

    We're rooting for you tomorrow. Lots of love,
    Patti Jo and family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jay,
    Good luck with the surgery tomorrow.
    I'll be just one of a very large goup of people who are
    pulling for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jay,
    Good luck tomorrow. We're pulling for you.
    Lemme know when you're up and about -- I know some great restaurants in the North End. Rik Stevens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeez, Jay, I'm at a loss after reading the TU blog. Tina & I will be praying for you. You're one of the best.

    Dave & Tina Hepp

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, my name is Lisa. I'm a friend of Janice's. We taught Spanish at Parker together our first year there... and what a crazy year it was. I met you once at a soccer game that Janice was coaching. Anyway- I just wanted to let you know that I- among many, many, many others- will be thinking of you and sending all the positive vibes I can during your surgery tomorrow. You are one very loved man. All the best!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jay:
    Good luck and God Bless you and your family. You're a great guy and an excellent reporter and I'm thinking about you.
    Eric Durr

    ReplyDelete