We're all gathered at Ellen and Allyson's apartment in Somerville, where we just completed Jay's new favorite ritual: reading all the emails of support that keep pouring in. This is a highlight of the day - please keep them coming!!
We are now trying to figure out whether we can get to the hospital that's 6.2 miles away in less than an hour tomorrow morning during rush hour for a schedule CT scan. That's the same distance that Jay used to bike from home to the Capitol in about 35 minutes.
Jay was buoyed today by the Red Sox improbable 6-5 win over the Braves and by shooting an 83 on the golf course. He and Joe Spector*, whom Jay handily defeated at golf, made a joint command decision that whatever Governor Paterson was going to say today wasn't worth covering. Demonstrating his always-chic fashion sense, Jay was also a real hit with his blood vessels traced in magic marker on the sides of his legs in preparation for surgery. He was told it was a nice look.
Janice and Ellen continued to show themselves as the best and most brilliant daughters ever by buying him an iPod. If they can teach him how to use it, he hopes to drown out the depressing background noise of the hospital with Oldies, Audio Books and podcasts.
Tomorrow we will meet with the pancreatic surgery specialist in Boston, and hope to make some decisions. We will keep you posted.
*: full disclosure - Joe's Dad Barry actually won.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Jay,
ReplyDeleteYou're missed tremendously here at the Capitol, my man.
Most of us spent Father's Day listening to these chuckle heads. As always, you make the most wise decisions.
Let me know when you can fit me in for golf, or a drunken walk around a course. But try to erase the damn magic marker on your veins first. It will freak me out.
Get better and get your Red Sox butt back here as soon as possible. I don't think I can handle this stuff much longer without your shining face and cheery disposition.
Take care, buddy.
..gormley
Jay: As the thrice-defeated finalist in the News Tribune Tennis Cup challenge, I had to write and add my voice -- once allegedly overused in the halls of the Capitol -- to the chorus cheering for a Gallagher victory in this battle. I know you can do it: forget the odds, think of the friends who are screaming loudly: Go Gallagher. I hope you take some solace from the victory on the golf course over Spector -- I understand his pen is way mightier than his five iron. Seriously, Jay, hang in there. Your soul and spirit will carry you a long way. Yours in Tom Murphy and Rudy Currier -- Rick Dollinger
ReplyDeleteJay:
ReplyDeleteEighty-three??? On 18 holes? If you keep this up, you'll be banned from our annual Bad Golfers Outing.
Hi Jay,
ReplyDeleteI was shocked and distressed to hear about your diagnosis. It hits me especially hard because you're younger than me and you don't seem like the kind of person this should happen to! But you do seem like the kind of person who can beat the odds. I'll be thinking of you as you head to Boston for surgery.
I have a sketch of you that I made on Feb. 22 when you did the forum at FUUSA about the "Further Decline of New York State." I almost threw it out because it didn't look enough like you, but I liked it even so, and I kept it. I'll snail mail it to your home address. It has a rather dark, expressionistic feeling, but that's my style, not the way I saw you. At the top, in quotes, it says "the coming demise of newspapers."
When we spoke recently, you said you hadn't realized I came from a newspaper family. Yesterday I posted on my blog about my father, Wallace Lomoe, who was Managing Editor of the Milwaukee Journal during the McCarthy era. I think you'd enjoy reading it when you get the chance.
I'm glad your family has started this blog. I started blogging seriously only on May lst, and I'm finding it a wonderful outlet. I hope you will too, and that you'll be posting here soon.
All best wishes to you, Emily and your family,
Julie Lomoe
Julie Lomoe's Musings Mysterioso