Monday, June 22, 2009

News from Boston

The good news is: a renowned pancreatic specialist and surgeon, Mark Callery, is going to be operating on Jay on Thursday at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. We have cancelled Dad's surgery which was scheduled for Tuesday in Albany. Callery and his partner do more than 185 of these surgeries per year, which makes Jay feel like he is in good hands. If Callery finds that the cancerous tumor is not removable , he plans to put "golden seeds," a la Rudy Giuliani's prostate, on the tumor so that dad can get a super does of radiation to help combat it.

We must admit this wasn't the best of days. Jay, Emily and Janice stopped off to see a movie, Angels and Demons, after the doctor's appointment to lighten the mood. They were forced to flee, however, halfway through when the fire alarm went off. They continued to stroll to Fenway Park, where despite Jay's condition, he refused to pay $25 for his 32nd Red Sox cap.

One of Jay's tasks for tomorrow is to remove the magic marker from his legs which almost made the chief nurse at Beth Israel snicker at the provincialism of a place as remote as Albany.

Please keep the emails coming - it is a great way for Jay to stay connected to you all!

3 comments:

  1. You went to see Angels and Demons to lighten the mood?

    But this is awesome news, even in a missive that mentions Rudy's prostate. With super-surgeon on your side, the best case scenario just keeps unfolding...

    As for the chief nurse...I'm snickering here. Albany, provincial? She has no idea.

    Lots of love coming from our way,
    Patti Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jay,
    Best of luck with the surgery.
    Thoughts and prayers are with you. (Perhaps Albany will now break the stalemate since you're not there to document the latest bout of dysfunction.)
    Gary Craig

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jay! I was happy to read that you beat Joe in golf. In my conversations with folks lately about you, I have been recalling the only time we played tennis, when you beat me, 6-0, 6-0, despite the fact that you never play anymore and I do so regularly. Somewhat humiliating. But when you are dealing with a person who does 9-mile bike rides and golfs after being diagnosed with cancer... that's what you get.
    I have also been thinking fondly about how I knew you were a good guy when we started working together and every afternoon I would hear your voice change a little when you picked up the phone to call Emily and greet her, "Hi Cutie!"
    You're the best! With love,
    Erika

    ReplyDelete