It took a few minutes but then it came to me: for the first time since Saturday, June 13, the day after I was told there was a "mass" on my pancreas a sense of dread was gone. I had finally processed what a series of positive medical developments meant: I'm probably no longer facing imminent death. A long life is probably not in the cards but neither is one cut quite as short as seemed likely two weeks ago.
One of the advantages of lying in bed for endless hours is you have plenty of time to think. And in this case, it struck me that my daughters had saved my life. I put John Lennon "Watchin the Wheels" on the iPod they bought me, looked out of my ninth floor hospital room window and felt a euphoria sweep over me. Here's how it happened.
After we got the diagnosis, Janice immediately went to work for "Team Gallagher" and within a few days got an apointment for us to see one of the country's top pancreatic-cancer surgeons, with whom we had no previous relationship. Three days after that appointment, I was on his operating table.
How did she do it?
Old Capitol hands should think "Zenia Mucha" but with much softer edges. She has the charm and tenacity to usually get what she wants and has since she was a few months old, I recall.
Meanwhile, Ellen, another vital cog in "Team Gallagher" went to work on the techie side. It seems like one day we were simultaneously feeling overwhelmed with phone calls but also cut off from many people, to having a website, a new email address and automatic email updates that transformed what I consider the astounding flow of good wishes into something I could both digest and draw strength from. Having the girls read the emails to me quickly became the highlight of my day. I know the Internet is killing newspapers, but it's doing some good things too.
All of this time the team's matriarch, Emily, was keeping a close eye on the patient making sure he was doing all the numerous duties of someone in his position, including breathing exercises, sipping ice cubes and walking straight as prescribed. Her skill at relaxation exercises and other "untraditional" treatments gave me an edge in the biggest battle of my life.
I'm convinced that her insistence that I be allowed to listen to soothing music on the iPod immediately after surgery played a role in my body tolerating the procedure so well.
"Team Gallagher" still has more games left to play, but for now it's enough to know the season isn't over yet.
Monday, June 29, 2009
A Flash of Euphoria
I woke up at about six this morning with this strange feeling I couldn't put my finger on right away.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Jay:
ReplyDeleteIt's wonderful to see you feeling well enough to be writing. Please know I'm thinking about you and your family and sending lots of positive thoughts your way. And, the best thing about your job is that no matter how long you stay away, it's likely nothing will have changed!
Ellen Rosen
Jay, Great to hear your voice through the blog. Sounds like you've got the right team backing your play -- maybe when they're done getting you back on your feet, they could tackle the Senate mess. Keep up the positive mental outlook and keep getting better. Best regards, Rik Stevens
ReplyDeleteI thought you being off meant we didn't have to read your column for a while? :)
ReplyDeleteSo glad you're feeling in good spirits.
So glad to "hear" from you and see how well you are handling everything. Sounds as if the women in the family have matters in hand and you should continue to listen to them.
ReplyDeleteI'll keep checking in to see how you're progressing. Keep up the good thoughts, as we do on this end
Jay - Read your Monday post and was overwhelmed with emotion (rare for me, as you know). You and your family ("the girls") are truly amazing! Am also still amazed at your writing skill, even under such lousy circumstances. You should try doing it for money...
ReplyDeleteJust wondering - have you started shopping for a toupe yet?
L.B. Neil
Your family rocks. Any chance they'd want to moonlight in the Capitol to fix the Senate? Keep healing -- am sending all my good thoughts your way.
ReplyDeleteMissed your column this Saturday ... so this was a nice replacement! You have an awesome, awesome family and it's well deserved. I'm glad they're taking such good care of you and that your spirits are so high. We're thinking of you often and want to visit as soon as it makes sense.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Erika, Mike and Nate
I love the soothing music idea; I am going to remember that.
ReplyDelete