Today was Emily's 63rd birthday, which gave me a chance to reflect on the life of the spouse of a cancer patient.
When we were married and took our vows 40 years ago, we both joked that we preferred "in health'' and "for richer'' over the alternatives.
For most of our time together we have been fortunate to hold "sickness'' and "for poorer'' at bay, but that was before my cancer diagnosis last June.
Since then, she has had to curtail her therapist career and favorite leisure-time pursuits, like kayaking and cross-country skiing and developing her spiritual side, to help take care of me. That ranges from arranging doctor appointments to accompanying me to chemotherapy to picking up the slack of chores I used to do like the dishes.
Even more importantly she comforts me when I despair, reassures me when I wonder what is going to happen next and is always ready with a hug when I most need it.
I didn't know what I would have done without her before I got sick, and can't imagine keeping my sanity for the last eight months without her support. Having her by my side is the one constant I can count on as I go into the uncertain future.
Happy birthday honey.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Send my birthday wishes along as well. You both have an uncanny strength, clearly.
ReplyDeleteBest,
Gary Craig