Friday, February 12, 2010

cocktail results: mixed

Results of new chemo cocktail so far: some nausea, some exhaustion and relatively minor leg pain.

I have also developed over the last couple of days the bane of anyone who uses a keyboard: repetitive stress injury in my right wrist.

But Emily and I have been playing doctor with it. She went to CVS last night and got me a wrist brace, which I have worn all day and has allowed me to type without too much pain, especially when I remember not to reach with my fingers. It feels better now than it did this morning.

It's hard to say whether this new thing is related to chemo or just a heavier load of typing on a laptop. Good thing I 'm just blogging and not writing my first novel.

The hope is a good night's sleep and being off my feet for most of the day, and being away from the keyboard tomorrow, will work miracles.

Hey, you never know.

3 comments:

  1. I am happy to say that I certainly can't speak from experience, but it seems like there are always pros and cons. Hopefully this too shall pass, and you will feel human for a few days before the next round. Thank you Emily for all that you do.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news! I'm truely happy for you. If you don't mind me asking, exactly what is the regimen you're on? Which chemo(s) how many days a week etc.? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jay, I'm interested in the comments about your write wrist (sic - I meant to type "right wrist," but I like the typo.) I'm constantly typing too, and I sometimes get shooting pains up my right wrist and arm. But I suspect it's more from using the mouse than from atual typing. In fact I know this - I'm addicted to Spider solitaire, and when I've succumbed to had a long bout of playing, my right forearm is all achy the next day.

    If you can switch to using the mouse with your left hand -and/or using the arrows more rather than the mouse to scroll up and down - maybe that will help. I don't do either of these things - just a theory.

    Also, take it from one who knows. Forget about writing a novel - it's a hard sell these days. You'll do better with nonfiction!

    ReplyDelete