Checking my e-mail today, I came across a nice note from a guy in Buffalo who pointed out to me that former SUNY Chancellor D. Bruce Johnstone was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer 16 years ago but is still writing, teaching and enjoying outdoor activities.
It's important to get reminders like that every once in a while, when the cases of movie star Patrick Swayze, who died of the disease last September, and Apple founder Steve Jobs, who has the same disease and looks increasingly gaunt, are far more familiar.
In fact, an easy way to get depressed is to look at the survival statistics for the disease, which are horrific and not getting better. But as several docs have told me, statistics are only abstract, each patient is different and I'm doing pretty well so far.
On that more optimistic note, the day after chemo this week has been better - I'm getting around with very little pain today and there has been no nausea to speak of.
I remember thinking and hearing that Johnstone was a good guy when he ran SUNY in the late '80s and early '90s. Now I have even more reason to admire him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment