"Good to see you, you miserable bastard,'' one member of the Assembly greeted me this week, as I went on the Assembly floor for the first time in almost eight months. "I mean both things - it is good to see you and you are a miserable bastard.''
I took this as a sign of affection from a notoriously prickly lawmaker, with whom I have clashed, and had pleasant conversations, over the years.
And I admit I hugged a couple of legislators, one of whom has kept in touch with me via-e-mail since June, and another who is also fighting cancer. Afraid some of the journalistic distance we all struggle to maintain shrunk considerably.
I got warm handshakes, best wishes and promises of prayers from some others. There was also a group who gave me a nod, like I was just there last week.
One told me, "I really wish you the best - and that's not just some kind of press bullshit.'' Another who has given me a religious medal told me I was in his prayers. I had the medal he gave me in my pocket.
It was good to be back at the Capitol today, until a vote on whether to expel a member of the Senate, Hiram Monserrate, scheduled for noon, was delayed repeatedly. Nine hours later, there was still no vote.
Reporters, some of them sitting on the floor and almost all of them hungry and tired, wearily waited for senators to emerge from behind closed doors to take action.
I decided to take advantage of my new position as a volunteer columnist and blogger to go home and have dinner.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good to have you back
ReplyDeleteKemp