Monday, January 18, 2010

Still an expert?

SYRACUSE - I'm out here tonight in preparation for being on a TV show tomorrow to provide (expert?) commentary on Gov. Paterson's budget address. The question, which will be answered tomorrow, is am I still enough of an expert to pull it off?

TV station people have been great, and took me out to dinner tonight. When they asked me what Paterson will say tomorrow, I said, in a crude way, that "we're screwed,'' which has been the governor's message in budget presentations for a majority of the 25 such addresses I have heard before.

I might have to stretch out that basic message to fill half an hour, depending on how long Paterson talks. Since he can't read his speech but has to deliver it all from memory, he is a bit unpredictable, which can be troublesome for TV producers who have a set amount of time to fill.

But I figure I will always have the Red Sox and my childhood to discuss if time is hanging heavy, or if I confuse billions with millions (who, actually, is counting?) as I have been known to do. I'm sure the woman hosting the show would love that.

The fun of TV versus print is you instantly communicate with the audience. The frightening thing about TV versus print is you instantly communicate with the audience. That means once something is out of your mouth, it's too late to take it back (no copy editors on TV). Misspeaking in front of a camera is even worse than telling a joke that falls flat.

Anyway, it's fun to have something other than my health to worry about for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment