ST. GEORGE’S, GRENADA – The natives seemed better prepared for the invasion of tourists from our ship today then the Grenadian army was in 1983 when the U.S. Marines invaded their country.
As soon as we cleared security, we were assaulted by vendors for everything from ground and water taxis to crappy jewelry and packages of spices. (The island is a big producer of spices.) Then when we arrived at a beach via water taxi, vendors aggressively tried to elbow each other out of the way to offer us what they called “extra-special deals” on beach umbrellas, lounges, beers, foot massages and even use of a bathroom and shower. They were by far the pushiest sellers we’ve encountered so far.
Normally, I would insert here some relevant details about the America invasion of this independent island of 100,000 people in the first Reagan administration. However, Internet access is so expensive out here in the middle of the ocean that I have to forego Google and therefore about 90% of my normal expertise. Mostly what I remember is there was a coup that we didn’t approve of and we sent in the military to install a government friendlier to our interests.
The local newspaper wasn’t much help in providing insight into the island except an editorial complained that a value-added tax (a wholesale sales tax) takes effect next month and people aren’t happy about it.
Our only regular source of current information is the “Princess Patter,” the daily newsletter the ship publishes mostly to tout things like art and jewelry sales and wine tastings. As far as we know, no one from the Patter’s staff has been nominated for a Pulitzer Prize.
Unfortunately we actually had a short day on this island, which has beautiful beaches, because we’re now embarked on a long leg of the trip to Bonaire, which is off the coast of Venezuela. The white sand beach and warm green water were what I’ve always thought of when considering a Caribbean vacation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Jay,
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you are enjoying the cruise. As I told you, the one I went on turned out to be a lot more fun than I expected. I forgot to mention that they feed you around the clock. Have you found any trivia games yet? I fully expect the Gallagher clan to be the boat champions.
Cheers,
Henry
Jay: Did you, per chance, meet any of the seven Cubans, armed with shovels, who defended the island in 1983 against the American armada? I understand they were "resettled" as cigar rollers. Enjoy. Dollinger
ReplyDelete